Author Topic: Is it worth paying to a second site?  (Read 512 times)

Offline BoonDNA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is it worth paying to a second site?
« on: Saturday 22 October 22 21:53 BST (UK) »
I've been subscribed to Ancestry for nine months or so. I've built a fairly comprehensive tree for some parts of my family but have many holes in other parts.
I exported the tree from Ancestry and loaded it into MyHeritage. Obviously I can't see the detail of any hints, but it appears to be throwing up quite a few that I've not already got.
Is it likely that their data will be significantly different? Do they have access to data that Ancestry don't?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth paying to a second site?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 October 22 21:56 BST (UK) »
You need to remember they are just that - hints - not necessarily facts. 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 October 22 22:11 BST (UK) »
A lot depends on the areas you are researching. Ancestry and FindMyPast are probably the biggest sites and both have some parish records that the other doesn't. FindMyPast for instance is very good for Welsh parishes. Many libraries have access to both Ancestry and FindMyPast so you could have a look there before deciding if it's worth it. The full FindMyPast membership also has access to the 1921 census. 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 October 22 13:38 BST (UK) »
It comes down to finances - how much are you willing to spend on your hobby?   

I have the full-fat, waterproof, new and improved memberships of both Ancestry and Find My Past. Ancestry gives the most useful hints (most rejected), but Find My Past gives me images. 

For example: Most of my people were in some way involved with the East India Company. Ancestry gave me the transcription of the baptism of one man's son. FindMyPast showed me the baptism page in the register. Directly beneath the son was another boy and a girl  - his sister and brother and their mother's name and their birthdates. If I only used Ancestry, I would never have known about these two. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 October 22 14:00 BST (UK) »
The main advantage of FindMyPast for me is access to the newspapers. I have both ancestry and FindMyPast but the newspaper access is worth it’s weight in gold. Plus of course they have now added the 1921 census to their subscription packages
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes