Author Topic: Ancestral Memory Is It fact or Fiction?  (Read 2967 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestral Memory Is It fact or Fiction?
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 27 October 22 09:25 BST (UK) »
Largely agree with Pharma. 'Though some things / traits / talents must be inherited - On both sides of my family I have had professional artists / designers and very talented amateurs - so what more normal that I showed ability, and trained as a designer? May also have been down to the encouraging presence of materials / equipment, and encouragement to "draw". It'd have been hard to avoid ending up in Design.
TY

I'd say a bit of both nature and nurture.  Things like fine motor control, hand eye coordination, eyesight etc are influenced by your genes and then the environment would encourage the development of the skills.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 27 October 22 10:39 BST (UK) »
As a kid I liked a lot of French things, and was interested in learning French at school. I then found out I had Huguenot ancestry, and my latest French ancestor came to the UK in 1752. But, it was not telepathy, a hint, or me secretly being told "you like French things due to some French blood". Purely a coincidence.

I agree with you on this.  After all, you would have very little DNA overall contributed by that Huguenot ancestor many generations back.
If the theory of ancestral memory was plausible wouldn’t many of be remembering more of our own parents’ lives, as we have half of each one’s DNA? My father was a Canadian soldier stationed in England in WWII and mother grew up on the south coast and was in the Observer Corps, but I know I have no ancestral memories of those events in their lives.

At this point in my life I can barely remember what I did yesterday, let alone what my ancestors were doing two hundred years ago 😁!

Very interesting thread.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 27 October 22 12:20 BST (UK) »
As a kid I liked a lot of French things, and was interested in learning French at school. I then found out I had Huguenot ancestry, and my latest French ancestor came to the UK in 1752. But, it was not telepathy, a hint, or me secretly being told "you like French things due to some French blood". Purely a coincidence.

I agree with you on this.  After all, you would have very little DNA overall contributed by that Huguenot ancestor many generations back.
If the theory of ancestral memory was plausible wouldn’t many of be remembering more of our own parents’ lives, as we have half of each one’s DNA? My father was a Canadian soldier stationed in England in WWII and mother grew up on the south coast and was in the Observer Corps, but I know I have no ancestral memories of those events in their lives.

At this point in my life I can barely remember what I did yesterday, let alone what my ancestors were doing two hundred years ago 😁!

Very interesting thread.

He was born 1725 in Moncoutant, Poitou, France. I may have a smidgen of his DNA in my blood but as you say it will have been well watered down. He is a 7xgreat grandfather. I still descend from him and have French ancestors, but in terms of his DNA and genes, it will be just a fraction among the English and Scottish DNA I have.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 27 October 22 18:17 BST (UK) »
Most definitely.

I have always loved Italy and Italian food.

Then I recently found via DNA that my Great Great Grandfather was Italian

;D