Author Topic: Ancestry discount  (Read 11582 times)

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry discount
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 26 January 23 21:14 GMT (UK) »

Hope you get a kind sales person and you get the offer. Fingers crossed.  Persevere.
Please let us know how you get on.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 26 January 23 23:20 GMT (UK) »
My subs were due for renewal in November, I Unticked auto-renewal and left it for a week whilst I considered whether or not to subscribe to Findmypast instead, I then got an email offering half price renewal and signed up for it.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 28 January 23 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Well, what a battle. I used the Ancestry Chat this morning.  35 minute in the queue and 40 on the actual chat. I did manage to get the 50% discount but I had to  fight for it. I do think it very much depends on who you get to talk/chat to.

I asked very politely if there was anything they could do please as my subscription had expired but the link to the half price discount was no longer working. He said he was sure he could do something for me. He came back and offered me a 4 month UK membership for £20. I am a serious researcher so that is of no use to me.  I've had the worldwide membership for years now. So, then he offered 30% discount. I refused that so he offered 40% and said that was the best they could do as there were no 50% offers on at the moment. I said it was still too expensive and asked again if  that the very best they could do. I said I was wondering how some people were getting the 50% but I couldn't get it. He was away ages, then came back and said - Great news! After checking, we can process your request. We can offer you a 50% discount for a one time courtesy.

I'm so glad I didn't cave in and accept the 30% or  50%.  I really hope I don't have this carry on every year. 
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 28 January 23 15:02 GMT (UK) »
... er, could you do a masterclass in how to get ANY discount? I've paid a full membership for well over a decade, and never managed to organise any discounts!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 28 January 23 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Well, what a battle. I used the Ancestry Chat this morning.  35 minute in the queue and 40 on the actual chat. I did manage to get the 50% discount but I had to  fight for it. I do think it very much depends on who you get to talk/chat to.

I asked very politely if there was anything they could do please as my subscription had expired but the link to the half price discount was no longer working. He said he was sure he could do something for me. He came back and offered me a 4 month UK membership for £20. I am a serious researcher so that is of no use to me.  I've had the worldwide membership for years now. So, then he offered 30% discount. I refused that so he offered 40% and said that was the best they could do as there were no 50% offers on at the moment. I said it was still too expensive and asked again if  that the very best they could do. I said I was wondering how some people were getting the 50% but I couldn't get it. He was away ages, then came back and said - Great news! After checking, we can process your request. We can offer you a 50% discount for a one time courtesy.

I'm so glad I didn't cave in and accept the 30% or  50%.  I really hope I don't have this carry on every year.

Well done, always tell everyone to persevere.
Plenty of instruction there to help everyone.
Chat is always another option.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 28 January 23 15:43 GMT (UK) »
There are  usually always discounts to be found. I always used to Google and the discounts would come up. There's never been a better discount than the half price Worldwide subscription that Sandra found and kindly posted here. I've been using that ever since until now.
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 28 January 23 18:20 GMT (UK) »
... er, could you do a masterclass in how to get ANY discount? I've paid a full membership for well over a decade, and never managed to organise any discounts!
TY

Turn off auto renewal. Phone them, either on the same day that your membership expires or within a short time thereafter. Ask if there is anything they can do for you. Be polite, and try and build a rapport with the agent. It helps to flirt (in the conversational sense, rather then the amorous sense).

If you don't get an offer you like, say you can't afford it, or you want to think about it and ask if you can phone back.

If all else fails, you can politely say no, and try again a day or two later. You may well speak to a different agent who is more obliging.

To some extent, it is a game, and both sides know it. But you can only play if you ask!
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 02 February 23 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I phoned a few days after my sub had been canceled but the only offer I was given was for a Premium sub discount. The Irish gent was courteous but .......
No use to me as I use the Worlwide sub for all my DNA matches families.
So bit the bullet and paid the full £189.99 for an annual Worldwide sub. Ouch.
(I had tried online discount offers but none worked eg Telegraph)

Gen in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 02 February 23 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I phoned a few days after my sub had been canceled but the only offer I was given was for a Premium sub discount. The Irish gent was courteous but .......
No use to me as I use the Worlwide sub for all my DNA matches families.
So bit the bullet and paid the full £189.99 for an annual Worldwide sub. Ouch.
(I had tried online discount offers but none worked eg Telegraph)

Gen in NBL UK

Oh not good. Sorry to hear that.  :'( :'(  It is always worth calling there bluff and politely refusing and ringing back another day to hopefully get a more helpful operator.  Many people have had the
offers via "chat"

Sandra