Author Topic: SPEIGHT Charles 1825-1897  (Read 569 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SPEIGHT Charles 1825-1897
« on: Monday 24 October 22 21:59 BST (UK) »
I thought I'd lost this image of my grandmother's uncle forever, but it's turned up on a calendar that I made about 20 years ago.  It has now yellowed with age and there's a white splodge on it.

When I alter the image to grayscale the face merges into the background, so I'm hoping somebody can enhance his features. 

Thank you for reading this.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SPEIGHT Charles 1825-1897
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 21:19 BST (UK) »
Not  a lot to go on for me. Others will do better for you:

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 22:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much !  I was surprised to see how much detail you found Japeflakes!!  I don't think I noticed before how much family features he shared with his niece, my grandmother, when she lost the bloom of youth.   He and his extended family were employed in producing porcelain pottery.   I didn't know that when I found his brother William who was described as a "miller" and I thought he worked in a windmill producing flour, but actually he was a foreman crushing slate to make porcelain lol.

I really appreciate your efforts.   A kissing cousin in Australia sent me this image and as he's now passed away I wouldn't have been able to get a replacement.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 08:35 BST (UK) »
wary of using too much contrast but easier to see when he is isolated from the background, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 09:01 BST (UK) »
My try. :)
Rena, I've cropped the photo, the resulting dimensions being about 10x12.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian and Peter,

I'm much obliged for your time and efforts - thank you.

I've now downloaded your images and will print them off.   I intend to enclose them with Xmas cards I intend sending to family this year.

I'd like to see their faces if they ever compare the photos lol   ;D

Offline hoobaloo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 14:55 BST (UK) »
A try from me, regards, John.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 22:20 BST (UK) »
Good heavens John !!  I'm amazed at the results of your programme - everything is so crisp and clearly defined !!!! and he looks much younger  :D

Thank you very much for your efforts, they're much appreciated.   It's now up to my printer to do an equally good result.