Author Topic: Burials of Samuel and Hannah Grocott - Weston - Non Conformists  (Read 786 times)

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
  • You can't beat a centre parting...
    • View Profile
Burials of Samuel and Hannah Grocott - Weston - Non Conformists
« on: Tuesday 25 October 22 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Cheshire RootsChatters.

I am helping a friend to research her family and we are looking for information about Samuel Grocott who was born around 1785. There are three possible baptisms in Wybunbury and we are trying to work out which one is 'ours'.

Fortunately the three baptisms are several years apart which does give a clue.

28 Jul 1782 - father = John Grouwcett
17 Sep 1786 - mother = Elizabeth Groucett
20 Apr 1788 - father = Peter Groukett

'Our' Samuel Grocott was married to 'Hannah' (this is from his son's baptism). (the other two Samuel's appear to have married a Lydia and Sarah respectively). Ideally we will eventually pair each Samuel up with his correct parent... but there are a lot of Samuel Grocott's in that area so it may never become clear.

We have found burials for Hannah Grocott (11 Feb 1875 Weston Cheshire) and Samuel Grocott (10 Dec 1878 Englesea Brook Methodist Chapel, Weston - age 92 which fits with the 1786 baptism). Both of these are Cheshire Non-conformist Records. They appear to have been Methodists and on the 'Runcorn Circuit'.

What we cannot on-line see is the original record. We are hoping that it may have additional information (i.e. were these two people actually a married couple? 'wife of Samuel' maybe)

Would anyone know if these records are kept at Cheshire Record Office? Would it be possible for someone there to look them up for us? (If a fee is required that would be OK).

We are currently waiting for death certificates, but hoping that the burial records might throw further clues our way.

Many Thanks
Grant, Green, Beyless, Coltman, Willis, Judge, Withers, Curtis, Ison, Pearson, Sims, Meadows, Gadsby, Burgess, Wilson, Keeling, Hooke, Suffolk, Shortland, Beeby, Rolfe, Brann, Sims, Henson, Warren, Pyle, Ball, Beck, Spencer, Kitchener, Washbrook, Sewell, Wheway, Hastings, Friswell, Redhouse, Plantagenet

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burials of Samuel and Hannah Grocott - Weston - Non Conformists
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 23:31 BST (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 00:11 BST (UK) »
The original registers are filmed and are on Find my past. They do not mention either as the wife of or widower of etc but I would think it is extremely likely that they were well known to each other.

The chapel is now a Museum about Primitive Methodism. Apparently there is a graveyard attached to the chapel so your Grocotts might just have a gravestone. It might be worth writing to the museum to ask whether they can help. I see there are some Grocott baptisms at the chapel who could be your couple’s grandchildren.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 06:47 BST (UK) »
Children of Samuel and Hannah Groucott baptized at Wybunbury

George 23 March 1817
Dinah 5 December 1819
Alice 5 May 1822
Phoebe 19 September 1824
Catherine 11 February 1827
Samuel 27 September 1829
Sarah 10 March 1833
----------------------------
Ann 25 November 1835/6 born 25 August 1835 of Samuel Groucott and Hannah Nee Cooper
Primitive Methodist Burland Cheshire. of Shevington Cheshire

Your family seems to be of Wybunbury so this Ann is questionable, although in 1841 census they do have a 6 year old Ann in the family. Keep in mind relationships not given 1841.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 06:52 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage of a Samuel Groucott to Hannah Cooper 20 December 1813 in Burslem Staffordshire.

Possible as this was about 13 miles away from Wybunbury.

If it's correct then there must be more children before 1817

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 06:54 BST (UK) »
Also he was a Widower on that Marriage according to FreeREG
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 07:28 BST (UK) »
I cannot find the deaths on FreeBMD anyone else?

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 08:04 BST (UK) »
There is a death registration - Nantwich RD - December q 1878 - Samuel Grocott aged 84.

Added:

Nantwich RD - March q 1875 - Hannah Grocott aged 67

Both entries from FreeBMD
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
  • You can't beat a centre parting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 09:47 BST (UK) »
Wow - what a great set of replies to find in the morning! Many thanks to you all.

hepburn - I've found that database site and have begun having a play - I had to read the instructions as it's a bit different to the usual search engines we have - but what a useful resource.

Gibel - My friend has an FindMyPast subscription - I'll get her to re-check - she told me previously that she wasn't able to see them.

amondg - I saw Ann (also transcribed as Ame) but she has disappeared by 1851 and she was a work in progress for us! There are other children in the 1851 census but any born after 1840 turned out to be illegitimate children of three of Samuel and Hannah's daughters. This Primitive Methodism theme seems to be a good clue. We have Hannah Cooper in our sights but I'd like to get a little more evidence before adding her (although she's in the research notes for 'our' Hannah and other researchers have gone for her).

trish1120 Great - we suspect that Samuel was previously married to Jane (Williams?) as there are three baptisms in Wybunbury to a Samuel & Jane 1808-1813. I believe Jane died in 1813.

BumbleB - thanks for saving me that search! We have the burials from a FamilySearch tree and they had the birth years spot on - but it looks like they weren't obtained from the actual death record as you have seen the couple are age 84 and 67 which gives birth dates of 1794 for Samuel and 1808 for Hannah - we currently have 1786 & 1793. That's a pity - it was looking good!

I guess we should wait for the Death Certificates to arrive.

Once again thanks - I really appreciate all that work by you late nighters & early birds!

Grant, Green, Beyless, Coltman, Willis, Judge, Withers, Curtis, Ison, Pearson, Sims, Meadows, Gadsby, Burgess, Wilson, Keeling, Hooke, Suffolk, Shortland, Beeby, Rolfe, Brann, Sims, Henson, Warren, Pyle, Ball, Beck, Spencer, Kitchener, Washbrook, Sewell, Wheway, Hastings, Friswell, Redhouse, Plantagenet