Author Topic: Mystery of the missing bp for William Bowden 1770 Callington  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of the missing bp for William Bowden 1770 Callington
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 20:55 GMT (UK) »
How wonderful, I envy you having such notes. And I suppose ‘Sardis’ and people from Spain aren’t out of the question for Cornwall. Perhaps she came back with a seafarer and then married him.

Do the notes mean Auntie Goldin didn’t know who her grandfather was? Or is it that the Sardis woman is a direct ancestor? I'm not keeping up!

Offline MarisN6815

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 January 23 12:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm also struggling to find a baptism record for one my ancestors who was allegedly born in Callington around in the late 1700s.

Mine is John Mildren (Mildern) and census records give his birth variously as 1796/1798 in Callington. I can't trace any baptism record that fits.

I wonder if there was an issue with records from that period...

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 09:46 BST (UK) »
Not sure. COPC has seven pages of bps in Callington from 1790-1800 inclusive and so not all entries would be missing. Another explanation is they were bp non-conformist and either the records haven't been transcribed or have been lost.

EDIT: COPC has Jno. Mildren bp 21.6.1795 Callington to Richard and Dorothy - could this be him?

https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=5989502

Richard Mildren married Dorothy Coule 12.11.1774 Callington by Banns.