Author Topic: EMIGRATION FROM SWEDEN TO DENMARK  (Read 8432 times)

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
EMIGRATION FROM SWEDEN TO DENMARK
« on: Saturday 29 October 22 20:41 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if it was common in early 19century for Swedish men to move to Denmark for work? Are there any records of such movement? I am trying to find out about the origins of my 2x grt grandfather Niels Olsen 1816c -1864.
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: EMIGRATION FROM SWEDEN TO DENMARK
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 22 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes it was quite common that men moved to Denmark or Norway to work. As for records there aren't any really other than the moving out books held by the parish.
If you can give me Niels Olsen's details I  can perhaps take a wee look for you.

Ian

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 22 15:16 GMT (UK) »
I recognise your username as you helped me once before! Thank you for responding.  Niels Olsen appears on Danish census as Swedish by birth and living in Helsingor since marrying Ane Cathrine Andersen or Bendtsdatter in 1846 at Tikob. He died in 1864. I have recently found one of this name aged 19  in 1834 census living at Blovstrod which is where his wife was born. Year of his birth is judged to be about 1816 according to age in later censuses.

I have several dna matches from Sweden but none have him in their trees. Not surprising if he left Sweden when young and disappeared to Denmark. However, vast majority of these matches have ancestry from Skane region of Sweden.

Hoping you can help!
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 22 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any online document sources?

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 22 17:48 GMT (UK) »
I have some from Danish Archives but it will take me a day or two to find them. Would the reference suffice? I don't think we are allowed to send copies of original documents via this forum.
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 October 22 17:53 GMT (UK) »
That'll be fine. No problems in posting them either if they are free from Denmark.

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 November 22 12:21 GMT (UK) »
I have not been able to reduce size of images of original docs to attach (Rootschat limit is v small) but here is a ref of 1855 census where Niels Olsen states he was born in Sweden.
Frederiksborg, Lynge-Kronborg, Helsingor Kobstad No. 626,1501,FT 1855

On one printout I have the number B7603 is added after the above ref.

The ref for the family for 1850 census is
Frederiksborg, Lynge-Kronborg, Tikob, Tibberup by, et huus, 363, FT-1850, B1865.

Fodested for Niels is also stated as Sweden in this census and that of
1860. His age is consistent throughout, certainly compared with any age in English census, notoriously inconsistent!

Niels was married on 28 Aug 1846 to Ane Cathrine Bendtsdr. At Tikob. She was baptised at Blovstrod in 1822. I have seen several refs to Niels Olsen living in Blovstrod in 1835 census but cannot be sure if any are the right one. Such a common name! Some of that name are listed as living with named parents but others are not. I believe that Ane,s first son, Svend was born in 1843 before marriage but do not know if Niels was the father.

Niels died on 14 Sept 1864 of tuberculosis in Helsingor. Sorry, no ref, but I’ve seen original prob in church records.

I hope this info might help you pin him down. I’d be so grateful if you can find any clues to date of arrival in Denmark and origins in Sweden. From my dna matches with Swedish people I think he comes from Skane. Possibly near Malmo but the naming system makes it very difficult to ascertain connections with other family trees.

Thanks so much.
Val
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 November 22 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val,
I have managed to find most of his records without much luck atm. I am trying all avenues. He wasn't the father to Ane's first child, he was born illegitimate.

Ian

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 November 22 12:51 GMT (UK) »
I’ve been told about these movement books. Would these record his entry into Denmark? What would be the best way to track his ancestry in Sweden. There are several detailed Family Trees available through my Swedish dna matches. Would there be any Danish records where he would have to state names of parents and/or place of birth or residence?  That would be a great find. If only I could link him to one of those! You are amazingly speedy with your research!
Val
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
DARLING (Carham)