Author Topic: Eastwood Cemetery - Help!!!  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Eastwood Cemetery - Help!!!
« on: Wednesday 09 November 22 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if anyone can help me. I am looking for a map of Eastwood Cemetery. I am trying to find the graves of a mother and son. This is the only details I have;

Euphemia Smith Hamilton
DIED: 23rd May 1923 age 41  BURIAL: Eastwood Cemetery, 1400, Section D

Andrew Hamilton Sutherland
DIED: 16th March 1924, age 3  BURIAL: Eastwood Cemetery: Compartment T, Lair 144

I am aware there is Eastwood old and new cemetery. (I have no idea if they are in the old or new.) I am also aware the cemetery's are both in a terrible state, hence I would like a map (or some expert advice) so I can figure out roughly where they may be.
CURRIE & KERR Scotland, Bute, Isle of Arran
ROSS or MUNRO Scotland, Inverness
SUTHERLAND & BUDGE, HAMILTON or GORDON Caithness, Halkirk Area 1700 & 1800's; Lanark 1900’s
MCGRATH or MCGRAW, MCINTYRE, MCWHINNEY, FERGUSON, CAMPBELL, FLANAGAN, WAUGH & THOMSON Ireland
MCGRATH or MCGRAW Wigtown early 1800’s; USA, Taft (CA), Jarbridge (NV) early 1900's
WYLLIE & HIGGINS Scotland, Lanarkshire & Ayrshire

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Eastwood Cemetery - Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 November 22 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I would have suggested contacting Glasgow City Council with a view to arrange a meeting with one of the groundsmen when they are working there but recently the days when someone is available are very few and far between.

This older thread may help (there is a map) https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=797495.0

Added : sorry the map link no longer seems to be working

Offline markw78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 November 22 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hanan
Here is link to an online map ...
https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/media/e4vhxvjs/old-eastwood-cemetery-plan.jpg
Hope this helps...
You can see the today's layout in google earth... or google maps...
Usually the lair numbers are on the side of any memorials... in Dundee at least.. So you may be lucky  and find one if the family erected any..
All the best
Regards
MarkW

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 November 22 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi MarkW

Would you happen to have the main link to the cemetery plans page that they used to have?

Monica

Added: Ah, it was a glitch on their page yesterday that Falkryn was trying to link. Looks to be all working again www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/family-history/research-guides/burial-lair-and-cremation-registers
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline markw78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 November 22 12:10 GMT (UK) »
MonicaL
Glad you got the link working ...

https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/family-history/research-guides/burial-lair-and-cremation-registers

Good luck with your research..
Regards
Markw

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 November 22 14:10 GMT (UK) »
The Commonwealth War Grave Commission has 118 burials in Eastwood, Glasgow.   Use these to locate your lairs.  The CWGC memorials are very distinctive and easy to spot at a distance, and the website give you lair details.  I have used this technique to zero in on lairs that are not well marked.
https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/search-results/?Surname=&Forename=&Initials=&ServiceNum=&Regiment=&Cemetery=GLASGOW+(EASTWOOD)+NEW+CEMETERY&CountryCommemoratedIn=null&Unit=&Rank=&SecondaryRegiment=&AgeOfDeath=0&DateDeathFromDay=1&DateDeathFromMonth=January&DateDeathFromYear=&DateDeathToDay=1&DateDeathToMonth=January&DateDeathToYear=&DateOfDeath=&Honours=null&AdditionalInfo=&Tab=&Page=1
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 November 22 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Excellent ideas and help from everyone. I'm off to study and hopefully work out where they both are. I very much hope to visit and pay my respects.

Thanks all!
CURRIE & KERR Scotland, Bute, Isle of Arran
ROSS or MUNRO Scotland, Inverness
SUTHERLAND & BUDGE, HAMILTON or GORDON Caithness, Halkirk Area 1700 & 1800's; Lanark 1900’s
MCGRATH or MCGRAW, MCINTYRE, MCWHINNEY, FERGUSON, CAMPBELL, FLANAGAN, WAUGH & THOMSON Ireland
MCGRATH or MCGRAW Wigtown early 1800’s; USA, Taft (CA), Jarbridge (NV) early 1900's
WYLLIE & HIGGINS Scotland, Lanarkshire & Ayrshire