Author Topic: Englishman in San Francisco - any info lookup?  (Read 11984 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Englishman in San Francisco - any info lookup?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 November 22 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Leo’s exact day of birth varies, depending upon the record - but his birth appears to be February 1915.  I don’t know if the following was for one Leo or different men with the same name.

He may have been in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1940 (draft reg).  Birthdate included: 12 Feb 1915, New York

Leo, born 1915, New York, 1942 Army enlistment (enlisted Chicago, Illinois)

Leo, 1948 and 1954 Los Angeles Voter reg.

Leo, “waitre”, 1962 San Diego Directory

Leo, born 2 February 1915, New York, died 1991, San Francisco, California death index
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline ali.

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 November 22 22:16 GMT (UK) »
I think there actually were two Leos in San Francisco at the same time.  I will look again.  Also, I did see a Leo who was a waiter but I’m not sure if it was in San Francisco or San Diego.  Be back in a few moments.

Ah I found the article I was remembering. Stadium Club head waiter does sound promising.
https://www.newspapers.com/image/460522407/?terms=Leo%20Yareshefsky&match=1
Noble, Bielby, Vipond - Scarborough/Whitby
Goodfellow - Shaftesbury/Cann, Dorset
Smyth, Kelly, Fearon, McAteer, Hughes - Armagh/Down

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 November 22 22:27 GMT (UK) »
I can’t view the article.  I am guessing it was in San Diego, though.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 November 22 22:32 GMT (UK) »
"Raymond L Noble, loving nephew of Jewel Alvers, dear friend of Leo Yareshefsky, member of MC&S. Funeral Wed Mar 7 1pm DRISCOLL'S MORTUARY CHAPEL 22nd Street Internment Woodlawn Memorial Park."

MC&S (if you don’t already have the information)
https://www.foundsf.org/index.php?title=Marine_Cooks_and_Stewards_Union

Offline ali.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 November 22 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I can’t view the article.  I am guessing it was in San Diego, though.

It was published in the San Francisco Examiner and seems to be referring to a San Francisco 49ers / Detroit Lions game so not sure. Maybe this clipping helps (if it works!) He's mentioned in the bottom right.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/113017738/

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 November 22 22:42 GMT (UK) »
I was able to read it, thank you.  I didn’t read the entire article, but it appears the game was in San Francisco as numerous towns and locations were mentioned (that are in and near San Francisco).  (I lived in San Francisco many years ago.)

I haven’t yet found either men in San Francisco directories but one could ask to be omitted from directories.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 November 22 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I have to leave for a bit but I will check back here later tonight.  Sorry to go on short notice.

Offline ali.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 November 22 23:09 GMT (UK) »
No worries, thank you so much for your help!
There is a Leo Yareshefsky (waiter at US Grant Hotel) on the San Diego directory in 1962, so it's confusing. Another found in Los Angeles in 1948, but no occupation given.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 November 22 01:44 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome.  :)

…His naturalization petition made on 25 Feb 1949 states his address in SF as 26 Norton St, San Francisco, California. On this petition he changes his name to RAYMOND LESLIE NOBLE.

He makes many crossings between California and Hawaii from 1949 into the 1960s, and appears to become a naturalised citizen in 1961. One of his witnesses is a Real Estate worker named Jewel Alvers, of 4398 Mission St, San Francisco…

1948-49 San Francisco Directory
Angelo Digino (Carolina), tlr, 26 Norton.  [By 1950, they were living elsewhere]
  It appears they were the only residents at that address in that directory.  Of course, they could have moved just after the directory was printed.

I tried searching “Norton” in the 1951 and 1953 directories, but there was a problem, with no results.

https://www.sfgenealogy.org/doku.php?id=san_francisco_county:databases:directories
   I use the IA option when searching.