Author Topic: Trade title ::  (Read 278 times)

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Trade title ::
« on: Monday 14 November 22 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Can someone please tell me what Private Joseph Lester’s trade was ?  Lol…, I’m sure when someone tells me, I’ll say “yes…, of course it is.” (as usual)

This is his demob papers…
Thirty-seven years of age, 5 feet 11 and a half inches, ‘sandy’ hair, grey eyes and a fair complexion…, and by trade or occupation a ???????????.
DATE: 5th of April 1827.

Thanks in advance.
Kind Regards…, Iain. 
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trade title ::
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 22 10:30 GMT (UK) »
He’s a joiner  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 November 22 10:36 GMT (UK) »
I agree - a joiner
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 22 10:37 GMT (UK) »

Concur - a joiner  :)
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 November 22 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Just a note on his height, Iain. I think it's 5 feet 11 and 1/8 rather than 1/2.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 November 22 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Lol..., 'yes of course it is.'  Ho hum...
Thank you everyone.

FYI:  It’s funny you mention that.  I was doing some genealogy for my daughter’s mother the other day, and as I live in Belgium, genealogy is really easy…, principally because everything is more-or-less free.  One Geneanet member had his tree going back to abt1700, (with all the generations being verified by the Town Hall – thanks to ID cards) and her 3xgr was in the French Army, and his height was down as 1 meter 812 millimetres.  Lol…, instead of centimetres.   

Also…, Lester’s regiment was the Scots Guards. (I was in the same Light Company)  Following the Battle of Waterloo, Wellington proposed his name for being the ‘bravest’ man at Waterloo, and as a result, he shared a small sum of money as a yearly pension.  This was done because Lester had assisted with the pressure on the famous Northgate at Hougoumont.
In fact, I had been wondering why a Private had been selected, (all the others were NCOs and Officers) especially because nearly all the Light Company skirmishers were usually small, nimble and fast.  So, I checked ‘FindMyPast’ for his demob papers and I discovered that he was nearly 6-feet-tall. (very unusual)  So, that explains why his shoulder was chosen to add pressure to the gate.
Lol…, also…, he was standing next to Sgt. McGregor.  Not McGroger.   ;)

Thanks again…, Iain. 
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 November 22 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Years ago I went to work with a hangover. One colleague said I should swap over the e and o in my name and become McGroger. That got shortened to Groger and--to close friends and family--Grog.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 November 22 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Years ago I went to work with a hangover. One colleague said I should swap over the e and o in my name and become McGroger. That got shortened to Groger and--to close friends and family--Grog.
Peter

Lol..., great one.  Or should I say 'one too many.'   ;)
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 November 22 20:10 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D