Author Topic: CanLoan soldier  (Read 273 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
CanLoan soldier
« on: Monday 14 November 22 14:59 GMT (UK) »
If a Canadian soldier (rank of Lieutenant) volunteered* under the CanLoan scheme to serve with a British regiment during WW2, would there be any papers for him held by the UK's MOD or would they only be held by the Canadians, please? 

Thanks
STG

* not entirely sure that "volunteered" is the correct term, or whether he was seconded or something else
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CanLoan soldier
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 22 17:44 GMT (UK) »
According to Smith, Wilfred I. (1992). Code Word CANLOAN. University of Michigan Press. ISBN 9781550021677 cited in Wikipedia "CANLOAN officers also had separate administrative arrangements from the rest of the units they were loaned to. Barring administrative and payment differences, CANLOAN officers had largely integrated into their units without issue". On that basis I doubt if the MOD holds any personal records on these officers. Your best bet is to try the Library and Archives of Canada (LAC), although don't expect a speedy response - I have been waiting over 2 years for a WW2 RCAF officer's personal records.
There is also quite a lot of correspondence at LAC on the administration of the Canloan scheme. https://recherche-collection-search.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/Home/Search?q=%20CANLOAN%20officers

And yes I believe all the participants were volunteers.

Added: If he was unfortuntae enough to have been killed during WW2 or to have died of his wounds shortly afterwards, you can search for him in an online database at LAC: https://recherche-collection-search.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/help/kia

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 November 22 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  I'll give the LAC a try.

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Cas205

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 April 24 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I saw this post popping up while looking into CANLOAN officers. Would you mind if I ask who you're looking into? I'd like to gather info on the CANLOANs for a project I'm working on.

Kind regards,
Cas