Author Topic: Linking to relevant online page  (Read 1159 times)

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Linking to relevant online page
« on: Tuesday 15 November 22 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Just managed to delete my request for help - so here goes again!

I'm researching a friend's family tree and many French Archive sites are helpful in that they give you a button to press which copies a link to the page you're on for you which you can then paste into wherever you chose. I have been storing my research over several excel spreadsheets in family tree format with links to the source material.

Unfortunately, some Archive sites like the one for Isère will only let you link to the first page of a series of records sometimes amounting to several hundred pages.

Eg:

http://archivesenligne.archives-isere.fr/mdr/index.php/docnumViewer/calculHierarchieDocNum/561470/484590:538670:541204:561470/1050/1680

URL unshortened so as to show structure.

The temporary workaround is to open developer tools and then drill down to the image to get something like this:

http://archivesenligne.archives-isere.fr/mdr/index.php/docnumserv/getImageVisualiseur/AB/VIG1/AMBEL@9NUM_5E008_4@AD038_9NUM_5MI0720_0252.JPG/Ti9UMTcvNTAvMjAw

The problem is that if a document is on more than one page (eg a marriage) then the link won't give access to the other page as it is a single jpg.

Is there any way to get around this so that a link will take you straight to the relevant page AND allow you to click to see previous or subsequent pages? Like you can on this Archive site:

https://v-earchives.vaucluse.fr/series/etat_civil/cabrieres_d_avignon/cabrieresdavignon_25646?img=00000303.jpg

I've tried everything I can think of, but just hoping a computer wizard out there can think of a way to sort this problem. Maybe I'm too optimistic in thinking it might be possible!
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Linking to relevant online page
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Still trying to sort this out! Have tried everything I can think of, including adding a string value to the URL, adding #page=[page number] or /#page=[page number] to the end of the URL.

It's frustrating, but I guess that's it. I'll have to stick with my workaround which is far from perfect!

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Possibly not the answer you're hoping for, but the image set you've used as an example can be found on FamilySearch at
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-J3DB-GQ2S?i=1281&cc=3661061&cat=652477
and there you can get a link to a specific page.

The only other option I could think of for the French archives site was that once you've found the relevant image you keep a note of its number (extra column in the spreadsheet?), so when you've followed the link you can put it in the navigation box at bottom right.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 14:42 GMT (UK) »
This may not be what you want but I tried this link in Shrink Link but SR didn't work earlier today. Now it does

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rxn/

It's a shorter url than Arthur's but otherwise is the same solution.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 14:58 GMT (UK) »
arthurk and Gadget

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to look into this for me. I keep forgetting to make use of familysearch as a resource.

Your solution works as I can go to the relevant page and the URL changes so I can copy that link and go straight to the relevant page AND move backwards and forwards. It is also much quicker and easier to use than the roundabout way I was using. Problem solved!

You've saved me a lot of hair pulling (and I can ill afford to lose any more!)

If you were any closer, I'd buy you a pint!

Thanks again!

:)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Glad it's solved.

You're not all that far from me and Arthur's only just down the road  ;D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 15:30 GMT (UK) »
You can also do a click here or whatever you want, to shorten it even more:

see https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=279583.0

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Happy to help, and glad it met your needs  8)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk