Author Topic: Death John Harwood June 10, 1903 Montana  (Read 14716 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Death John Harwood June 10, 1903 Montana
« on: Wednesday 16 November 22 02:59 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching and searching and searching for the death record of John Wesley Harwood, born abt 1844 in New York, who married Evaline Dodge and lived many years in Minnesota. He remarried to Laura A. Strawsell in 1889 in Minnesota. However many of the family migrated to Montana and I am wondering if this death of John Harwood June 10, 1903, in Helena, Lewis and Clark county, Montana might be him. Can anyone find out more about this death? On  Findagrave, his date of birth is unknown.
Thanks for any help
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Death John Harwood June 10, 1903 Montana
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Did he have a relative named Robert Harwood?  According to FindAGrave, John’s plot info. is Glendale 533; Robert’s is Glendale 532 (Robert died in 1901). Possibly they were buried near each other?

Did John Wesley have any children?  Have you found him in 1900?  Have you found Laura in 1900?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 05:48 GMT (UK) »
A Laura A. Harwood, born June 1845, New York, farmer, is shown on the 1900 Lyons, Wadena, Minnesota census.  She is shown as widowed.  A Charley Strawsell, son, is recorded under her name.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Laura (age 59, NY) and Charley are in the 1895 Township 136, Wadena County census.  No column for marital status.

While John could have died pre-1896, there is also the slight possibility that the couple split up and she claimed that he died.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 06:07 GMT (UK) »
The last time I found a record of John Wesley Harwood was when he married widow Laura A. Strawsell Oct 28, 1889 in Redwood Falls, Minnesota. Apparently They divorced in April 1892 and Laura A. Harwood is on the 1900 census in Minnesota with her youngest son Charley Strawsell. She says she is a widow but is she referring to John Strawsell who died in 1885 or to John Harwood? Laura remains in Minnesota until her death August 13, 1913 in Pine River Township, Cass County, Minnesota.
The Harwood family is very hard to track but as far as I know John Wesley Harwood did not have a brother Robert nor a son Robert. If you are right about a possible brother Robert, this is probably not John Wesley. John’s son Frank died June 24, 1959 in warm Springs, Deer Lodge County, Montana and his son Guy died August 11, 1973 in Toole county,  Montana. Many online trees have John’s first wife Eveline as dying December 31, 1953 in Outback, Montana at age 101 but I don’t believe it. I think she died in Minnesota between son Guy’s birth August 9, 1885 and John’s remarriage in October 1889, perhaps even in childbirth in 1885. I don’t know what became of John. The same online trees have his death in 1963 location unknown but he would be 119 so I don’t believe that either.
I see that you found Laura in 1900 with her son Charley.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 06:17 GMT (UK) »
I just found Laura in 1895 and she’s with her son Charley in Wadena as you say.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 06:53 GMT (UK) »
I also found another online tree which has John Harwood’s will written January 17, 1903 in Redwood, Minnesota being probated Jan 23, 1904 which would be the perfect location for John Wesley but the children named are not his so this cannot be him. That is weird. This John is connected to Laura Strawsell on this tree.
Other trees have him dying in 1900 in Redwood County, no specific date. Are they saying that as an approximation for the one whose will is being probated in 1904?
Oh dear, I hope I don’t have Laura married to the wrong John Harwood. Her marriage record in 1889 does say John W Harwood. The will in 1903 says John Harwood without the W and has children  Edward T, Alice A. Dailey, William B Harwood, Jennie H Smith, and Edith E Cooper. I have to find the John Harwood who has those children.
My John Wesley had children Hiram, Ettie Secor, Francis Harwood, Albert W. Harwood, Elmer Harwood, Walter J Harwood, Nellie J Partlow, Jeanetta May Walker, Clarence Harwood and Guy Harwood.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 07:13 GMT (UK) »
I don’t know if this was your John:

ChroniclingAmerica, John W. Harwood, missing, August 17, 1893
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rxh/

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 07:19 GMT (UK) »
I did a search on FamilySearch for William B Harwood in 1870 and luckily up came the correct family with father John Harwood who died Dec 3, 1903 and wife Mary Ann Merrill who died in 1887. William’s siblings were Alice, Jane, Julia, Edith, and Edward Thomas.
So the online tree should not have this John Harwood connected to Laura A. Strawsell nee Partlow.  Thank goodness. Very strange though that he died in Illinois and his will is under Minnesota wills.