Author Topic: Death John Harwood June 10, 1903 Montana  (Read 14757 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Death John Harwood June 10, 1903 Montana
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 07:21 GMT (UK) »
It’s not uncommon for online trees to be incorrect.  I’ve seen a number of them.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 07:41 GMT (UK) »
I don’t know if this was your John:

ChroniclingAmerica, John W. Harwood, missing, August 17, 1893
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rxh/

Did you see my above link?  Posting it again, in case our messages crossed and it was missed.  ;)

Added: Father of 10 children.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Wow, Lisa, that is very interesting about the missing John W. Harwood in Aug 1893. The one I am researching did live in Redwood Falls, where the newspaper was located. He did have exactly 10 children, the youngest of which was Guy born Aug 9, 1885 so he would be 8 years old in 1893, as per the article saying the youngest was 8 yr. old. Article says he had a wife and 10 children, but if we are correct about his remarriage to Laura in 1889 and divorced in 1892, he would not have a wife. Of course, newspapers are not always totally correct either, as is often found with online trees as well. Sounds very possible to be the correct John W. Harwood. Puzzled about the reference to the Lower Sioux Agency. I had heard before that some of the Harwoods had to "disappear" and this article fits that story. So sad if he lost his first wife, unverified, was divorced by second wife, and lost his farm. I have that he also lost his oldest son Hiram in 1893, unverified, no specific date as yet.
You are so clever. And thank you so much for this article. Explains why we don't find him in 1900. I must look hard for the children in 1900. Guy would be 8, Clarence would be 10, Jenetta would be 12, Nellie would be 15. I know that several of the children died in Washington State, a couple in Montana.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a divorce document or “just” a filing for divorce?  Perhaps she started the proceedings and it had not yet been finalized?

He lost Hiram, or perhaps his disappearance (if it was him) had something to do with Hiram?

I tried using other search terms, trying to find out about John and his first wife, but didn’t find anything.  Of course, I only searched for a few key words: Harwood, suicide, died, Leslie, etc.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 08:34 GMT (UK) »
..Puzzled about the reference to the Lower Sioux Agency…

If you try an internet search for Lower Sioux Agency Minnesota, there are a few results.  (I didn’t open any sites as I don’t often open unknown sites.)   ;)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 08:43 GMT (UK) »
I was told that John and Laura were divorced Apr 20, 1892 and was going to phone Minnesota Archives tomorrow  to see if they had a record of it.
When I re-looked at that page you sent about John's disappearance, it looks like there is summons for John Harwood to appear in court, or he didn't, judgement would be taken against him in the amount of $274.14 - see last column.
Son Albert W. Harwood also disappears after his  divorce in 1910. Albert is on the 1910 census, with wife Sarah, and then she remarries in 1916. Marriage record says she has been divorced for 6 years but I wonder.  I don't have a record or a date for the divorce. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MLGG-9X2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 08:55 GMT (UK) »
…Explains why we don't find him in 1900. I must look hard for the children in 1900. Guy would be 8, Clarence would be 10, Jenetta would be 12, Nellie would be 15. I know that several of the children died in Washington State, a couple in Montana.

If you don’t already have the information, Guy H. got married in Beaver Creek M. E. Church, Montana in 1907.  Looking for them in 1900…

PS. Are the childrens’ ages for 1900, or what they would have been in 1893, please?

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Possibly Jeanetta’s marriage?  I haven’t found them in 1900 yet.

https://abish.byui.edu/specialCollections/westernStates/westernStatesRecordDetail.cfm?recordID=421732

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 09:23 GMT (UK) »
The ages that I gave were for 1893. I should’ve given the ages in 1900. Looking like the family was in Montana about 1900. Frank probably married in Montana abt 1902 to Grace Jackson. Thanks for the marriages of Janetta and Guy.
Although Walter married in Washington state in 1905. Albert W. had 3 marriages in Minnesota between 1895 and 1905. I don’t know where Ettie married to a Secor but she died in Washington state.