Author Topic: DNA test. Ancestry or My Heritage? COMPLETED  (Read 8975 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: DNA test. Ancestry or My Heritage? COMPLETED
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 November 22 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks folks; I think she wants to get the test as a bit of fun…..but who knows….she might get the bug!
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 November 22 15:45 GMT (UK) »
My sister is thinking about buying this as a gift but which one would be most useful? As far as we know the family is English on both sides.

Advice very welcome!  :)

Do advise them to take the Ancestry test.

Ancestry has nearly 2x as many already tested as the next highest which is 23&me.  My Heritage is way down in numbers.

Take Ethnicity, it is an Estimate, it has a wide variance and is dependent upon which DNA test was taken.

DNA will not unlock doors or solve mysteries without a lot of work and effort.

Plus each company keeps having offers so do advise to take note of them and only buy when there is an offer on.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 November 22 00:43 GMT (UK) »
I have been bombarded with ads for special deals for Black Friday.

Interested or not, your sister will get loads of matches. Some might pique her curiosity, and she can call on you for help with the paper trail if needs be.  :)

From what I have gleaned through reading threads here on rootschat I get the impression that despite Ancestry having the largest database, they are lacking in some aspects eg they don’t provide as many tools as other companies (no chromosome browser etc). They also won’t allow people who have tested with other companies to upload their raw data to Ancestry whereas other companies allow Ancestry uploads, which seems mean spirited. 23 and Me are the same but there doesn’t seem to be much talk on here about 23 and Me DNA tests despite them also being one of the big boys.

Having said all that, I am planning on taking an Ancestry test in the near future.  :)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 November 22 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

I saw that you were asking about testing with 23and me. I tested with them a few years ago now, after initially testing with Ancestry and Living DNA and uploading to FTDNA and My Heritage.

I did find some matches, (mainly from Canada) who had only tested on that Site. One in particular is on my Brickwall paternal Grandfather’s side. That has helped me to identify two families that he must have been related to, but the Brickwall is still standing 😔

My advice would be to test with Ancestry initially, - biggest Database, - and then upload and test at other Sites to spread the net still wider 😊

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 November 22 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Romilly,

I did test years ago with FTDNA and uploaded to My Heritage, Living DNA and Gedmatch. Am now considering an additional test with Ancestry as I am curious to see if it throws up any interesting new matches.

I have more or less the same old high(ish) matches that have been floating around for years, and I either know where they fit, can’t work out where they fit, or get no responses from matches to take me any further.

Hoping an Ancestry test might reveal something new.

I’m sure many rootschatters have taken a 23 and Me DNA test, but I seldom see mention of it on any threads. Ancestry dominates.  :)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 November 22 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again,

My main impression of 23andme is that the majority of people on there test more for the medical report than the Ancestry one. I took both, but wasn’t very impressed with my medical report; which I thought was very generalised.

Although 23andme don’t have a Chromosome Browser as such, they do have a DNA comparison feature, where you can see which Chromosomes you match on. I’ve found this quite useful. There’s also a ‘Shared Relatives’ feature, where you can view a list of shared matches; similar to the shared matches on Ancestry.

Best Wishes Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 November 22 22:24 GMT (UK) »
I think you are right in saying that the medical reports are an incentive for people to take the 23 and Me test. They are second to Ancestry in number of people who’ve tested I believe.

:)