Author Topic: Mrs Gertrude Hollis and her adopted son from Darjeeling area  (Read 11491 times)

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mrs Gertrude Hollis and her adopted son from Darjeeling area
« on: Sunday 20 November 22 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for any pointers someone can give please, as this is an area I've never looked at before.
 I've debated whether to put this request for ideas in the Warwickshire section (the family ended up in Birmingham) or this overseas section but finally decided to start here.

The situation (as told to me) is this, with all the initial events taking place in India:

A child (who was almost certainly Anglo Indian on his mother's side from what I can see on DNA analysis) was born in around 1933 in the Moradabad area of India. His initial name was Leslie Gerald Edwards.  He was adopted by a Mrs Gertrude Hollis (who was the sister of a Mr John Alexander).  The Alexanders also had an adopted daughter named Daisy Violet Bickmore, who appears to have been born in Allahabad in 1918, although the surname James was also used. I understand a Flora James was involved in this too, although I have no idea where at the  moment. I'm thinking this may have been some sort of informal arrangement as it's known HER mother was also called Daisy Bickmore and Daisy Jnr's surname was never changed.  Eventually Mrs Hollis fostered Daisy with a view to her caring for Leslie and they moved away to Moradabad.  Daisy eventually married Lancelot Niblett and they moved to the UK some time later.

It seems Leslie had two older brothers/half-brothers (Ronald and Clive) and those two arrived together in the UK in 1948.  I don't think they had much connection with Leslie and I know Mrs Hollis must have been reasonably wealthy and there was bad feeling as Leslie attended a private school in Darjeeling.  However he also ended up in the UK too, sometime prior to 1955, although I can't find any details of his journey, or what happened to Mrs Hollis.He DID keep that surname.

The feeling is that another woman (who also ended up in the UK but about whom there seems to be very little information, may in fact have been his mother.  Her name was Mae or May and when she died (which would have been around 1966 in the "mental Hospital" in Rubery Birmingham she was probably using the name of Johnson.  The surname of Were or Weir seems to crop up in various DNA matched trees but no one seems to have more than the name.

So I have quite a lot of information but no actual records other than the emigration info from India for the two older Edwards boys, also info on the Nibletts, which isn't really that relevant.  It seems the Anglo-Indians stayed in more or less the same area once they arrived in the UK, all these found their way to Birmingham.  Is anyone able to tell me what records might be out there to give me any clues?  Either iIndian or UK? 

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mrs Gertrude Hollis and her adopted son from Darjeeling area
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 November 22 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Incoming Passenger Lists

19 yr old student, Leslie Hollis arrived in London 27th August 1951.
The Strathmire ship had sailed from Sydney to London via various ports including Bombay.
His proposed address was c/o L P Niblette, Saltby, Birmingham
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 November 22 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for spotting that one, I really appreciate it.  It seems to support the basic timeline we've put together too, which is very encouraging.  I'll got through that whole sailing and see if anyone else was destined to stay with the Nibletts too, there may be more clues there.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 November 22 23:07 GMT (UK) »
A couple of related records:

Marriage of Mae Johnson to Leslie Edwards in India in 1929
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGJC-WF1

Gerald Leslie Edwards - although travel seems to be going the wrong way - I think it is the people you are looking for.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:68PQ-NX39
Travelling from Liverpool to Bombay Oct 1932, all on same ticket. All intending to reside in India.
- Hilda Marg EDWARDS age 29 Address in West Malling, Kent
- May Margaret EDWARDS age 27 Address 82 Stratford Rd Birmingham
- Clive Gordon EDWARDS age 1 and ½ - same Birmingham address
- Gerald Leslie EDWARDS age 6 months -  same Birmingham address

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 November 22 00:31 GMT (UK) »
I believe there are English birth registrations for those 2 little boys on the ship travelling to Bombay.
Clive G Edwards 1931 Kidderminster
And
Leslie Edwards 1932 Bromsgrove
Mother’s maiden name for both is Johnson.

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 November 22 00:34 GMT (UK) »

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 November 22 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Maybe you could find them on electoral rolls

Also Gertrude Hollis may have mentioned her adoptive children in a will do you know when she died .

Very interesting search ...good luck
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 November 22 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Travelling Bombay to London Oct 1938
May Edwards age 31, occ: home duties, not accompanied by husband
Intended address: 19 Drummond Rd, Hoylake, Wirral

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 November 22 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Incoming Passenger Lists

19 yr old student, Leslie Hollis arrived in London 27th August 1951.
The Strathmire ship had sailed from Sydney to London via various ports including Bombay.
His proposed address was c/o L P Niblette, Saltby, Birmingham

The Niblett family returned to England from Bombay in Feb 1950. So Leslie followed soon after.