Author Topic: Backup problem  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Backup problem
« on: Tuesday 22 November 22 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me with a backup problem, please?  I use Windows 7.

When I do a backup, I normally go through a series of steps which include "Create a System Image", and "Which drives do you want to include in the backup?" but this time, for some reason, I didn't seem to be asked to do that.

The backup seemed to be in progress and it said: "Creating a system image of Windows 7_OS (C)"

It ran for about 45 mins., longer than usual, then displayed the following:

"Windows Backup did not complete successfully.  The backup completed but some files were skipped"

When I asked for details, it said:

"Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\historic\Saved Games. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))"

However, there doesn't seem to be such a file on my PC.

Any suggestions, please?  Can I ignore the messages and assume I am backed up for the most part?

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Backup problem
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 10:24 GMT (UK) »
W7 Backup is a  bit poor at backing up large disks. What has probably happened is that it starts by building a list of files to be copied, then starts to copy them.  if a file is moved, or deleted while the backup is running it may fail to find it when it gets ready to copy it.  This causes these sort of errors.   It's not a big deal. If you have concerns you can run backup again.
(BTW As you will know, Windows 7 is OUT OF SUPPORT - it still runs, but you will not receive security updates).

As I understand it the backup process in W11 is totally different.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, greenrig.

You suggested that a file may have been moved or deleted while the backup was running.  I see the logic in that, but I don't see how it is possible, since there were no other programs running at the time, at least any that I am aware of.

I have now repeated the backup, and it was completed successfully.  It is a mystery to me what was different in the earlier attempt.

I know Windows 7 is out of support, but moving off it seems a big task.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 15:54 GMT (UK) »
You suggested that a file may have been moved or deleted while the backup was running.  I see the logic in that, but I don't see how it is possible, since there were no other programs running at the time, at least any that I am aware of.
Windows itself runs dozens of processes in the background so it could easily have caused the hiccup in the backup process itself.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Windows itself runs dozens of processes in the background so it could easily have caused the hiccup in the backup process.

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 16:14 GMT (UK) »

... "Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\historic\Saved Games. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))"

However, there doesn't seem to be such a file on my PC ...

It's many years since I've used Win7, but could Historic be a hidden folder visible only to users with Admin authority?

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your interest, Andy and farmeroman.  I've just looked inside the folder called "Historic", and it seems to be visible enough.  However, there is no file in it called "Saved Games" and that name means nothing to me.