Author Topic: Manor Park Cemetery old Grid map.  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Rds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Manor Park Cemetery old Grid map.
« on: Wednesday 23 November 22 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help.
I can see many other posts about Manor Park Cemetery map/grid squares changing.
Around 2005 I think?,

And the old maps being available (to purchase) from Deceased Online but I have searched and cannot find them online at Deceased Online, if anyone could even point to the maps on Deceased Online I will check with them..

The burial I am searching for was 1989, so the map on their website does not correlate with the grave ref. I have, which is Square BR. Grave 26.

I have also seen posts about land in cemeteries being "reused" so I am not even sure the grave is still there, but I would hope so being within the last 35 years(?).
I am not even sure if it ever had a headstone.

I very much want to visit but without details, or a rough location of the grave to narrow down my searching on the today I feel like I would be searching for a needle in a hay stack, which may not even be there!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Bullett (Stow, Suffolk.)
Cobbold (Stow & Ipswich, Suffolk. London.)
Salmon (Bethnal Green & Tower Hamlets, London. Essex.)
Apps (Bethnal Green & Tower Hamlets, London. Essex.)

Offline Rds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Manor Park Cemetery old Grid map.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 November 22 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Not sure if any use to anyone.... is this still an active forum?

Anyways, I heard back from the cemetery, not with the full old grid map. But they did advise that old BR square is along Bassett Road in the Cemetery... However there is a Burge Road as well, so this seems too easy.. but maybe their was only Bassett Road in the 80s... who knows!

I will go at the weekend and see if i can find the grave I am looking for along Bassett Road... fingers crossed.
Bullett (Stow, Suffolk.)

Offline Rds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 December 22 13:32 GMT (UK) »
After visiting the Cemetery at the weekend, I can confirm that Squ BR is along Bassett Road.
Bullett (Stow, Suffolk.)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 December 22 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I missed the question when it was first posted, but for anyone coming across the thread later, here is the map from the sign on the gate. Click on it to enlarge a bit. But Rds did well to contact the cemetery, as BR isn't labelled, though I think I can make out the letters on another smaller and poor focus map I have. It's the narrow strip alongside the lower edge of Bassett Road in a larger triangular section labelled SG above the middle of the righthand side of the map. (I hope Rds confirms this.)

The map omits some of the smaller sections, but I found some of the missing numbered ones by searching around the nearest number shown.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Rds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 December 22 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

The cemetery were very helpful, pleasure to deal with.

This is what they send me when I inquired about square BR.
https://images.findagrave.com/photos1024/photos/2022/336/CEM638854_56e0bdfd-9abe-4ded-a49f-70a08fd1e962.jpeg?_v=1669992817529

As you said BR is the narrow strip alongside the lower edge of Bassett Road, just above the SG on the new map label.

This should be the exact location
https://www.google.com/maps/place/51%C2%B033'12.2%22N+0%C2%B002'27.7%22E/@51.5532716,0.0412091,164m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x89a298e5e3d515eb!8m2!3d51.5534007!4d0.0410385

I think the map/grid squares changed around 2005, I am not sure how much it changed.. but pre-2005 burial may or may not correlate with the new maps posted...

Bullett (Stow, Suffolk.)