Author Topic: Kathleen Iris Starkey Davies Goodman  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kathleen Iris Starkey Davies Goodman
« on: Wednesday 23 November 22 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Kathleen appears to be at least the seventh child of John Starkey (1868-1949) and Elizabeth Lawton (1871-1948).

I have identified five children Elsie Helen (1898-1964 who married Arthur Chadwick Gisby), John Sydney (1899-1978 who married my grandfather's sister Mabel Sutton), Percy George Lawton (1903-1977 who married Beatrice Emma Wood), Joseph Leonard (1907-1918) and Kathleen Iris born 1914.

John and Elizabeth marry in the Liverpool area and all of the children mentioned above have their births registered in West Derby registration district.

Sometime after Kathleen's birth and before Joseph's death in 1918 the family have moved to Stafford.

In 1911 the family are in Wavertree, Liverpool (FindMyPast have them transcribed as Storkey) which tells me that there are two more children I have yet to identify - married 14 years 6 children 4 alive, 2 dead.

In 1921 the Starkey family are in Stafford.

Kathleen appears to marry Samuel Davies in Stafford in 1936 and she and he are at 81 Lincoln Avenue Newcastle under Lyme in 1939 along with two other people Humphrey and Emily Dean.

But I'm having trouble with her after that. The 1939 entry - see attached - shows her surname as Starkey, Davies and Goodman. There is a date 30.12.48 on the LHS and some other annotations.

I assumed this meant that she initially married Samuel Davies in 1936 and then in 1948 married a Goodman but I haven't spotted any obvious marriage so far. I wondered if Samuel was killed in WWII.

As she isn't my direct line I just wanted to find her year of death for completeness but haven't identified her death so far as Starkey, Davies or Goodman and I'm now intrigued as to what the different names and annotations mean.

Does anyone have any thoughts. Thanks
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Kathleen Iris Starkey Davies Goodman
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 17:20 GMT (UK) »
OTR is the code for Stafford reg district, KMI is Brighouse, West Yorkshire.  They are the areas where the amendments were done
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 November 22 07:20 GMT (UK) »
The missing children are twins

George Lawton Victor 1897
Joseph Howard Victor  1897

Both registered West Derby with mother's maiden name Lawton.

ADDED

George Lawton Victor Starkey was buried 15 June 1897 aged 3 days at Toxeth Park
abode Garrick Street.

Joseph Howard Victor Starkey was baptized 12 June 1897 Edge Hill, St Dunstan of 24 Garrick Street, he was buried 27 June 1897 also at Toxeth Park.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 November 22 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Her DOB differs slightly from 1939

baptized Edge Hill St Dunstan, Kathleen Iris Starkey born 16 March 1914 bap. 12 April. Address 54 Ashfield, of John and Elizabeth. Father Railway Inspector.

Note on ancestry indexed as Hankey 

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 November 22 07:57 GMT (UK) »
It's unusual for a woman's maiden name to be on the 1939 register if already married.

Did Samuel Davies and Kathleen separate and she either married Goodman 1946/1948 and or went back to her maiden name of Starkey. 

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 November 22 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the all the info - so sad that the twins only lived a few days.

I agree that it looks like she married Davies and then became/used Goodman and then reverted to Starkey.

I shall keep looking for her.

Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas