Author Topic: Mclaughlin of Inishowen  (Read 3296 times)

Offline jackiewmc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mclaughlin of Inishowen
« on: Saturday 26 November 22 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am actively searching for information on my father and Grandfather.  My father W M
was born in 1940's in Letterkenny to William Mclaughlin and Mary Bonner Nee Roche. 
Mary and William married on the 13/06/1941 at St Mura's Church Fahan Letterkenny Donegal.
This was Mary's second marriage as her first husband John Bonner died in 1939.
Although Mary had many children, William was an only child from her second marriage.
My Grandfather was a fisherman and my father left Ireland as a young man, his occupation was a Steel Erector and he travel across England and abroad.
My parents married on the 1960's in Northumberland Uk and divorced in 1970's.
I have recently had DNA results which show my Mclaughlin ancestors are from Inishowen, Leinster and Munster.
By researching 2nd-4th cousins who have matched with my DNA the same names keep popping up, so I do believe I am related to the following
Henry Mclaughlin 1821-1905, married Mary Breslin 1830-1893. I think he could possibly be either my Great, Great Grandfather or Great, Great Uncle.
Henry and Mary had many children but the one name that appears most in connected family trees is Fanny Mclaughlin who married Neil McCallion in 1882.
Because I have no information my grandfather other than his marriage, I cannot find out how closely related he was to Fanny.
I have sent off for the marriage certificate for my Grandparents and hopefully this will give me more information.

Any information no matter how small would be greatly appreciated.
Jackie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Mclaughlin of Inishowen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 22 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

This looks to be the 1941 marriage for your grandparents https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1941/08819/5188570.pdf

As you can see, no father is showing for William McLaughlin, with his father's details showing as 'not known'. Likely illegitimate.

A Hugh McLaughlin was one of the witnesses.

William's residence at the time of his marriage was Castle Quarter. See www.townlands.ie/donegal/inishowen-west/inch/inch-island/castle-quarter/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 November 22 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Was trying to guess at Mary Roche's age when she married William McLaughlin.

From what you have mentioned, is this a daughter, Mary Catherine, for Mary with John Bonner born in 1918? https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1918/01288/1533688.pdf

Added: Mary's 1916 marriage to John Bonner shows her as a 'minor' when she married. Her age would therefore be between 16 to 21 when she married in 1916 I think.

Monica

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 22 20:15 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Jackie  :)

Henry and Mary had many children but the one name that appears most in connected family trees is Fanny Mclaughlin who married Neil McCallion in 1882.
Because I have no information my grandfather other than his marriage, I cannot find out how closely related he was to Fanny.

The marriage of Neal McCallion to Frances McLaughlin on 15 January 1882 at Cackhill? RC Church, Buncrana. Frances' father Henry McLaughlin, Neal's father John McCallion - both farmers.
Frances living at Stranaclea townland. Neal living at Meentahalagh [sic] townland (probably Meendacalliagh).
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1882/10956/8004760.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/donegal/inishowen-west/fahan-lower/illies/stranaclea/
https://www.townlands.ie/donegal/inishowen-west/fahan-lower/illies/meendacalliagh/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 November 22 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I searched for birth for a William McLaughlin, with mother's maiden name of McLaughlin. Some possible births to consider?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1899/02019/1774637.pdf

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1899/02029/1778019.pdf

Could be more births. I searched 1895-1920. Brought up just two . There could be more, missed off the results for the search I did. William could also have been born earlier. Hard to say. Finding William's death may be the only way of trying to establish his age perhaps...and that likely will not be easy.

Monica

Offline jackiewmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 November 22 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for searching.  I was hoping to find out more from the marriage certificate between William and Mary, his age and fathers name. 
The birth certificate is more helpful gives mothers full name and the second one also gives her mothers name.
Kind regards
Jackie

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 December 22 20:43 GMT (UK) »

Fanny Mclaughlin who married Neil McCallion in 1882.

Hello Jackie

I have just noticed this post when I was looking for something else entirely :)

I have Fanny McLaughlin and Neil McCallion on my tree. Neil McCallion is my 1st cousin 3xs removed.

What company did you use for your DNA?

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline jackiewmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 December 22 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, 
I used ancestry for my DNA,  my match is with the McLaughlin side.  I think Fanny McLaughlin may have been my grandfather's cousin.
My match shows my ancestors came from Inishowen, Munster and Leinster
Jackie

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 December 22 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Check to see if you have a match with me....Mary Ann Tate :)

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan