Author Topic: Re: So disappointed in RootsChat - What rubbish !!!!  (Read 8998 times)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: So disappointed in RootsChat - What rubbish !!!!
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 27 November 22 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Missed that post.  The web is full of misguided idiots who for some reason like to wind others up.
I also missed the whole story.  The culture of social media has developed attitudes rather like ringing the doorbell and running away, or in other words failure to properly grow up.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 27 November 22 09:37 GMT (UK) »
I have to say, I did partially believe the post as I don’t often visit the chatty ;D forums and I thought I had missed something.  While I treasure the help I’ve received and thoroughly enjoy trying to help as well, all I could think about was where would I run across such a variety of folks again.  Living in North America (originally Canada and now California), it is so refreshing to read some of the cultural expressions, sayings and jokes.  I can’t count how many times I’ve laughed out loud after reading some replies with what folks in California refer to as “British humour”.  I miss that style of humour; it reminds me of home and relatives who have passed on.

The original topic was negative but what I am taking away from this, turning negativity into positivity, is that I am even more thankful for the site, and how much we care about the RootsChat community.  Thank you Sarah and Trystan, and thank you to our funny, informative, helpful RootsChatters.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 27 November 22 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Since no-one really knows quite how that post came to be made, maybe it's not a good idea to keep chucking accusations like "Troll" and "Idiot" around.

Sarah has confirmed that there's no truth in the rumour which is great news. Time to move on?

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 27 November 22 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I saw the post.
In true RC style, I took the usual stance of though a tree/ family lore/ post in a forum/bloke in the pub may say its true, I'd have to check it out to be sure.

Given that the people who have definite, concrete knowledge would spot the post and confirm/deny categorically I just waited:-)

Thanks Sarah.

Boo

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 27 November 22 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Phew......I was somewhat concerned when I saw the post but then life took over (birthday celebrations with family).

Good to know that RootsChat continues.  :D
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 27 November 22 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I read the original post and thought I`d missed an announcement !! I didn`t really believe it as it was written  very oddly, I thought.

I can only reiterate what others have said. This is a marvellous site, I can`t thank Sarah and Tristan enough ! It`s a lot of work for them but I`m so thankful that they (plus mods) are willing to do it for us all.

To quote something I heard about the BBC, it informs, educates and entertains !!

Thanks again.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 27 November 22 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Being generous, it is always possible that L D posted her rant to the wrong website. I know that I have done that before. And now she finds she is the object of scorn and ridicule for a simple mistake ... 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline susieroe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 27 November 22 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I just thought it was someone feeling a bit disgruntled about something, didn't take much notice.
I've now looked at her profile and posts and something doesn't add up.

Profile says 'last active yesterday (26th then)at 00.13.'
But that post was made on the 18th.

And anyway her last post was made on the 18th at 22.09.   Both perfectly normal.

So I think something has gone wrong with her account, should we pm her or leave it to Sarah? I don't want to interfer, but she's maybe feeling awful and can't tell us?

Roe,Wells, Bent, Kemp, Weston
Bruin, Gillam, Hurd/Heard, Timson, All in Leicestershire. Keats (Kates)

https://ourkeatsfamilystory.blogspot.com/

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 27 November 22 14:21 GMT (UK) »
I just thought it was someone feeling a bit disgruntled about something, didn't take much notice.
I've now looked at her profile and posts and something doesn't add up.

Profile says 'last active yesterday (26th then)at 00.13.'
But that post was made on the 18th.

And anyway her last post was made on the 18th at 22.09.   Both perfectly normal.

So I think something has gone wrong with her account, should we pm her or leave it to Sarah? I don't want to interfer, but she's maybe feeling awful and can't tell us?

The 26th 0013 was when the post was made, Sarah has removed it which is why I only  the date time is showing .

As Sarah has dealt with the matter, I think it is now time the whole subject was dropped.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.