Author Topic: Birth Thomas Clarke Bradford  (Read 6072 times)

Offline TAMOWEN4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Thomas Clarke Bradford
« on: Thursday 01 December 22 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
after a number of years trying to find out where my maternal grand father Thomas Clarke was born, I have with the help of others, found he states he was born in Bradford Yorkshire.
That information was found on the 1921 Census of Scotlands People.

My grandfather was born c1892. He married my gran in Glasgow 1918. Died in Greenock 1979.

Clearly came to Scotland prior to 1918, however, I have no idea when and I can't find him on the 1911 Scottish Census.

On their marriage Certificate it states he was a bachelor, living and working in Greenock and that his parents were William Clarke (Occupation Milk Salesman) and Elizabeth Beaumont. Both his parents noted as deceased.

I have copies of my grandparents Marriage certs and my grandfathers death cert, however, would like to find his birth certificate, can one of you good people give me some advice/help?

thanks in anticipation
Thomas Clarke Owen
Owen/s, Miller, McMillan, Hamilton, Clarke, McCafferty, Rowe, Sinclair, Jamieson. Hanson/Hansen.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Thomas Clarke Bradford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 December 22 14:29 GMT (UK) »
This is the signature of a Thomas Clarke, born in Bradford in 1892, who was briefly in the army in 1915. Is there any similarity with your man's signature?

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TAMOWEN4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 December 22 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your message.

I am no hand writing expert, however, I took a look at my grandfathers signature on one of his daughters birth certificate. It looks very similar, in particular the way the letter C in Clarke but as I say i'm no expert.
I seem to recall my late mother saying her father had served in WW1 and sustained a head wound the accuracy of that I can't confirm.

thanks
Tommy
Owen/s, Miller, McMillan, Hamilton, Clarke, McCafferty, Rowe, Sinclair, Jamieson. Hanson/Hansen.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 December 22 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the GRO indexes, I can't see any Clark(e) births at all with mmn Beaumont in the Bradford registration district between 1890 and 1910, though there are a few in other districts not too far away.

So, are all the records you have consistent about his date/year of birth?

And, are any of the marriage witnesses possible siblings (or other relations)?

Also (ShaunJ might already have found this) are there any clues about his parents in his service record, if that is him?

Lastly, what do you know about Thomas's occupation - it might just help in tracking him down.

It would be quite unusual at that date for a birth not to be registered, so not being able to find it suggests an anomaly in the date, place or name. I did try looking for a birth under Beaumont, and there were a few of them, but more research would be needed to see if any ended with William Clarke as a stepfather, say.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 December 22 17:10 GMT (UK) »
The soldier whose signature I posted was married to a widow, Annie Lilian Smith, in Llandilo in 1915, and claimed to be the father of one of her children born in Llandovery in 1909.

The same Annie Lilian Smith married Alfred Edward Watkins in Swindon in 1921 and they are together in the 1921 census, along with the child born in 1909.

That Thomas Clarke suffered from a spinal disease (Pott's disease) which led to his discharge from the army after just a few weeks' service.

Perhaps you could post a signature of your Thomas Clarke? Presumably one would be available from his 1918 marriage record as well as the birth certificate that you mentioned.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TAMOWEN4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 December 22 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. on looking closer I don't think the signatures are the same. I think it unlikely that it is the same Clarke as mine, however, can never be sure.

It states on his marriage certificate he was a bachelor, unless telling fibs!! ::) ::)

thank you again.

Offline TAMOWEN4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 December 22 20:27 GMT (UK) »
arthurk Hi Arthur,
I am not 100% on dates. My mother and her older brother were I think perhaps incorrect with their fathers DOB. To explain, when they registered his death in 1979, his age is given as 89, making his year of birth 1890.
On his marriage certificate of 1918 he is noted as being 26 and on the 1921 census his age is given as 29 which would make his year of birth 1892.

Witnesses on his marriage certificate were a workmate and my grans sister. So no clues there.

He was employed as a foundry labourer in Greenock, what his occupation was before coming to live in Scotland I have no idea. I was told he had served in WW1, however, I don't think it was the same T. Clarke as Shauns.

The place of birth he gives on the 1921 Scotlands People census is Bradford. And his deceased parents names on his marriage cert are William Clarke and Elizabeth Beaumont.

Sorry this is all the info I have, granddad Clarke remains a bit of an enigma.

thanks for you help
kind regards
Tommy

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 December 22 22:09 GMT (UK) »
There’s a Thomas Clarke born 18 Feb 1891 admitted to Shadwell Centre West Yorkshire Reformatory School in Leeds. His mother listed as Elizabeth Beaumont alias Clarke. Thomas has been taken around begging no home. Mother has had 5 children by 3 different men.

There’s more information on the record which is on Ancestry.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 December 22 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Well done Gibel - an excellent find

Thomas' brother - William Sterne BEAUMONT alias CLARKE
Born 26 June 1894

In 1911 William is working as a boot repairer, as a servant in the home of Ernest SILVERWOOD in Ryhill,
By 1916 enlisted as Sapper William S Beaumont in Royal Engineers
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland)