Author Topic: Birth Thomas Clarke Bradford  (Read 6776 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Thomas Clarke Bradford
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 04 December 22 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Tommy, with group input, we have found your grandfather was born in Nawton, between Helmsley and Kirkbymoorside. I would say soon after his birth, he and his mother moved to Bradford / Leeds, as his sister was born there in late 1892.

You can now get Thomas Clarke’s birth certificate – details previously posted.

Tommy, in your PM to me you say you are confused about the information regarding Thomas Clarke’s parents seen on his marriage certificate (ie William Clarke and Elizabeth Beaumont)

In answer: We know that Thomas had a very fragmented childhood. He probably never knew his mother’s real surname (she used 4 aliases), but he remembered the name BEAUMONT – so that is what he recorded for her on his marriage.
The only father figure he remembered was William Beaumont (milk salesman), but he changed his surname to CLARKE. Thomas may not have fully understood where his Clarke surname came from, and on his marriage, he would have been keen to hide that he was illegitimate. The shame of illegitimacy was a great burden for many at that time in history – there are very numerous examples of incorrect information being recorded to hide illegitimacy.

Also in your PM, you say you are not familiar with researching family history. It can be daunting / confusing when you first start out. In your grandfather’s case it has been a particularly complicated search – but a very interesting puzzle.
Do ask questions (by replying to this thread) if there is anything that needs clarification. We are all happy to help.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Tommy, I have investigated further the numerous surnames used by Elizabeth, mother to your Thomas Clarke. I wonder if she sets a record for the number of aliases? :)  When you look at it all chronologically however, it begins to make sense.

Elizabeth LYONS (Aliases HUME; CLARKE; BEAUMONT; WALSH)
•   9 Sep 1869    Elizabeth LYONS baptised Berwick-upon-Tweed
Parents Andrew Hume LYONS (Tailor) and Ann (nee HINDMARSH)
Step-siblings: Adam 1842, Andrew 1852, Peter 1854, Dorothy 1857 (married Herriot), Agnes 1859 (married Tait), George 1861.

•   1871 census.    Elizabeth LYONS age 2 living with father Andrew 43 a tailor, mother Ann 41, sister Dorothy 15, brother George 10 in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
•   1878     Death of Ann LYONS (Elizabeth’s mother).
•   1881 census.    Elizabeth HUME age 12 a visitor to the Richardson household in Ulgham, Northumberland.  [Interesting that she is not at home with her father, and she is already using another name at such a young age – had she run away from home?]
•   1885    Death of Andrew Hume LYONS (Elizabeth’s father).
•   Jan 1891 Nawton   Birth of son Thomas CLARKE – father Thomas CLARKE a soldier
•   1891 census.    Elizabeth CLARK age 22 a visitor in the home of Thomas BOWES in Nawton, Kirkby Moorside - with baby son Thomas.
•   Dec 1892 Bradford   Birth of daughter Harriet CLARKE – father Thomas CLARKE a joiner. Address – 12 Caine Place
•   June 1894 Bradford    Birth of son William Sterne BEAUMONT – father William Tell BEAUMONT; mother Elizabeth formerly LYONS
•   17 Oct 1899 Leeds.    Birth of daughter Annie BEAUMONT – father William Tell BEAUMONT a milk dealer. Address- Castle Street
•   1901 census.    Elizabeth BEAUMONT wife to William Tell BEAUMONT. Living in Fountain Court, West Leeds with children Thomas 10, Harriet 8, William 6, Annie 1.
•   Jan 1904.    Death of William BEAUMONT (Elizabeth’s husband)
•   Feb 1904.    Elizabeth’s children are taken into institutional care, and she is sent to an “inebriate home” for about 3 years.
•   6 Jan 1908 Leeds.    Elizabeth BEAUMONT widow and servant , age 36 (actual age 39) Married Thomas Henry WELSH age 35, a cloth dresser.
•   1911 census.    Lizzie WALSH age 37 (actual age 42 ) wife to Thomas WALSH age 39, cloth dresser in cloth mill. Living at Fleece Square, South East Leeds. She records 2 children born and 2 children living – possibly in contact with only 2 children?

? Possible death in 1935 for Elizabeth WALSH, burial 18 June 1935 Dewsbury
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Great summary, Neale  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TAMOWEN4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 10 December 22 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Just had another look at this thread today, what fantastic work everyone, I could not have achieved this without the help of so many.

So many alias's for my grandfathers mother!! Maybe I should change my middle name of Clarke to Hume, Lyons etc etc  ;)

Thank you again Tommy
Owen/s, Miller, McMillan, Hamilton, Clarke, McCafferty, Rowe, Sinclair, Jamieson. Hanson/Hansen.