Author Topic: Toehill/Tohill/Tochill/Toughills - Gorbals, Glasgow.  (Read 2254 times)

Offline cronecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Toehill/Tohill/Tochill/Toughills - Gorbals, Glasgow.
« on: Friday 02 December 22 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi friends!

I'm just wondering if anyone else is researching into the Toehills (always multiple spellings, see title ::)) who were living around the Gorbals area between the late 1800s and early 1900s.

I have a decent bit of info myself but obviously would love to connect with anyone researching/related to the family.

The parents were Joseph and Bridget Toehill (formerly Shields - widowed, and her birth name was Wilson) - they married each other on the 8th June 1872. They were both from NI, around the Magherafelt and Desertmartin areas.

They had 6 kids - Joseph, George, Mary-Ann, Elizabeth, Theresa (my biological great-gran) and Louisa. In November 1909, Theresa was living at 113 Hospital Street (according to my grandfather's birth record) and in the 1911 census, she was still living there with her parents and sister, Louisa.

Theresa got married in 1914 to a Francis Meechan, they were both living at 103 Main Street, Bridgeton. Theresa died in 1953 where it seems like she had been living at 16 Sandyfaulds Street.

Basically, Theresa is my grandfathers birth mum. Only she was on his birth record, no father present and he was marked illegitimate.

I've just sent off my DNA so I'm happy to update if I find anything else through that but in the mean time I'd love to connect with anyone related to the family!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Toehill/Tohill/Tochill/Toughills - Gorbals, Glasgow.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 December 22 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the Surname Interests Board - Scroll to bottom of page & link is under TOOLS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 December 22 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Guessing this is your ancestry tree here www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/181785160/person/222361126189/facts

Have you considered the possibility that your grandfather may have been called after his reputed father?

From your tree and the image of his birth reg in 1909, he was called Andrew McMinigle Toehill.

McMinigle is not that common (even with variants). There is this entry for example in 1911:

Andrew MCMUNIGALL, aged 22
644/7 12/ 6
Possilpark, Lanark

Maybe this entry from 1901?

Hugh McMinigal 49 carter b. Paisley, Renfrewshire
Christina McMinigal 42 b. Glasgow
Nellie McMinigal 17 chemical worker b. Glasgow
Andrew McMinigal 13 b. Glasgow

Address: 506 Dobbie's Loan, Glasgow/Milton

Just thought to mention as a possibility  :)

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 December 22 21:39 GMT (UK) »
 ;D See you had the same idea www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/178942014/person/242321611655/facts

Have any of the other tree owners for the other siblings to this Andrew done a DNA test to let you verify this possible connection?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Have any of the other tree owners for the other siblings to this Andrew done a DNA test to let you verify this possible connection?

Monica
Monica,

Others will not show as DNA matches until the OP has got results back.

The only matches for now will be names in trees which we all know may/may not be correct, depending on how thorough they've been researched but will hopefully turn out to be promising.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline cronecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Guessing this is your ancestry tree here www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/181785160/person/222361126189/facts

Have you considered the possibility that your grandfather may have been called after his reputed father?

From your tree and the image of his birth reg in 1909, he was called Andrew McMinigle Toehill.

McMinigle is not that common (even with variants). There is this entry for example in 1911:

Andrew MCMUNIGALL, aged 22
644/7 12/ 6
Possilpark, Lanark

Maybe this entry from 1901?

Hugh McMinigal 49 carter b. Paisley, Renfrewshire
Christina McMinigal 42 b. Glasgow
Nellie McMinigal 17 chemical worker b. Glasgow
Andrew McMinigal 13 b. Glasgow

Address: 506 Dobbie's Loan, Glasgow/Milton

Just thought to mention as a possibility  :)

Monica

Hi Monica!

Yes that's my tree. Andrew McMinigal is actually the adoptive parent of Andrew (McMinigal) Toehill along with his wife Catherine (Kate) McCleary.

I've definitely considered that Andrew or one of his brothers were the biological father because of the surname being on the birth record.

My DNA hasn't come back yet so can't see any matches but fingers crossed and will def update my findings! :)

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 11:52 GMT (UK) »
        In the index of my map-book of Glasgow, there is Todhills, G75, East Kilbride (off Todhills North).   And also Todhills South, G75, East Kilbride.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 17:13 GMT (UK) »
        In the index of my map-book of Glasgow, there is Todhills, G75, East Kilbride (off Todhills North).   And also Todhills South, G75, East Kilbride.

Tod is the Scottish word for fox, so there are lots of places with "tod", Todhole is a common one but there are many others.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline cronecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 February 23 08:31 GMT (UK) »
;D See you had the same idea www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/178942014/person/242321611655/facts

Monica

So, just an update on this. I've had no connections via his adoptive family so looks like they really are his adoptive family.

I've actually managed to narrow the possible father down to two brothers (I think - very early days!) with the surname McLachlan - sons of Isabella Findlay and William McLachlan.

I also discovered that one of my biological great-grandmother's sisters had two illegitimate children in 1909 and 1910, and one had the name of the father as Joseph McLinn. I couldn't find a record of him anywhere and someone suggested if McLinn was actually short for McLaughlin (or I guess, McLachlan) and Joseph is actually one of the McLachlan brothers I'm looking into. The plot thickens.