Author Topic: Decipher discharge cerificates  (Read 3848 times)

Offline TAMOWEN4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Decipher discharge cerificates
« on: Sunday 04 December 22 19:07 GMT (UK) »
H, I have recently found. with the help of others. background information about one of my grandfathers Thomas Clarke.
It would seem he was born in Bradford Yorkshire in 1891. Owing to family issues he was placed in a home in Leeds.
At the age of 16 he was sent to work on a farm in Wales.
At some stage he joined a Welsh TA regiment later enlisting in the regular Army, however, he was diagnosed with a spinal disease (not owing to military service) and medically discharged after a short service.
I will attach the 4 relevant forms. I cannot make out which regiment/regiments.
I wonder if anyone here can help or advise where I can find this out.
All based on the premise this is in fact my grand father (He died in Scotland 1979)
regards
Tommy Owen
Owen/s, Miller, McMillan, Hamilton, Clarke, McCafferty, Rowe, Sinclair, Jamieson. Hanson/Hansen.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Decipher discharge cerificates
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 December 22 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tommy,
No attachments I'm afraid.

Offline TAMOWEN4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 December 22 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Unable to upload files as saying too large, unfortunately I am not savvy enough to compress.

I will give two numbers which may help? As follows 19592 Regimental number.
Chelsea number 190541

Tommy
Owen/s, Miller, McMillan, Hamilton, Clarke, McCafferty, Rowe, Sinclair, Jamieson. Hanson/Hansen.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 December 22 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Where did you find his service records: Ancestry, FindMyPast or somewhere else?

Offline TAMOWEN4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 December 22 19:30 GMT (UK) »
They were posted on another board where I was making inquiries  regarding my grandfathers childhood and teenage life.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 December 22 19:40 GMT (UK) »
OK, I've seen his documents on FindMyPast. He enlisted in the South Lancs Regt on 24 June 1915 and was discharged on 28 August 1915 as being medically unfit, due curvature of the spine, Potts Disease. Although it is stated on the attestation paper that he had served for one year in the Welsh (Welch) Regt TF, no details of that service were given.
What did you want to know about his service?
Since he failed to get through the medical examination, I doubt if he actually underwent any training for the Regular Army during the roughly 8 weeks he was enlisted. As you have probably seen, he only gained 72 days worth of reckonable service towards a pension, meaning that he wouldn't have been eligible for a pension. He may have qualified for a Silver War Badge later when they were issued in 1916, but I haven't checked.

Offline TAMOWEN4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 December 22 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Andy.

I only wanted to know the regiment as I could not make it out. What does the TF on the Welch Reg stand for?.

I knew my grand father, however, he never talked of his past life.
My other grandfather, who I did not know was a pre 1st war regular in the Royal Scots Fusiliers.

thanks again.
Tommy

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 December 22 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I can't see a SWB card for him. There are Medal Index Cards for at least two Thomas Clarkes in the South Lancashire Regiment but with the wrong dates and service numbers.
There is a card (see below) for a Private Thomas Clarke whose regimental number is 266795 who enlisted in the Welsh South Wales Borderers Regiment TF at 234 TF depot in Monmouth in 1914 but he does not appear to have been discarged until 1917 so it seems unlikely this could have been the same man

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 December 22 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, just seen your previous posting. TF stands for Territorial Force, effectively the same as the Territorial Army which came after the First World War.