Author Topic: Elizabeth Oliver  (Read 2530 times)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Oliver
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 December 22 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There is a baptism at St John Thanet Kent
Mary Mallish d of Joseph and Elizabeth born 29 March bapt 6 April 1800.
So maybe two little babies baptised with the same name and one died?

Ciderdrinker

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 December 22 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,
Yes we considered the two babies. Mary's age fluctuated throughout her life.,but she always said she was born in Margate. She married Richard Andrews, a soldier and then Robert Hunter ,another soldier (pensioner ). As I've only just discovered that Elizabeth Oliver is my 4 X GT grandmother, I am sorting through all this . The Forest of Dartmoor is a new one for me and I grew up in Plymouth. I take it that it's an archaic term. When JOSEPH joined the army who knows? I can't find them again after their daughter Eliza's baptism in Plymouth in 1813.
They also had a daughter in Portsea in 1803 named Maria.
We have the Margate baptism , but have never been convinced as there is a Mary Mallish marrying there in 1820 and Mallish not Melluish is the name stated.
If there is a burial for a Mary in Whitchurch or Buckland, then it's clearer.,but I haven't found one

Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 December 22 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Again
Here are a few military records I can see for a Joseph Mellhuish
Not saying they are him but it will give you a start.

Joseph Mellish alias Mellis 1780-1846 Died Greenwich Hospital 20th April 1846.Examination 25 May 1833 .Last served Talavera 27 years 7 months .Granted pension 1837. 1840 age 58 done 28years and 10 months service.In 1840 he was admitted to the Hospital for life.
5 June 1840 age 61 married no children  born Messina Last residence Portsmouth.Service 28years 10 months last ship Pembroke.Not wounded
First service 4 Nov 1803 on the Gibralter
Joseph Mellish gunners crew 1830 age 45 (born 1785)Massina Sicily on Prince Regent
Joseph Mellish quartermaster on the Osprey -pay allotment to mother Sarah of Arundel Sussex 1799.(bapt 25 June 1775 Arundal s of Edward and Sarah)
1841 census  Greenwich hospital born Foreign 1781
(So doesn't look like yours but in case he came up )

Joseph Melhuish -11 regiment of foot Army Gold Medal of long service with 2 clasps 1793-1814
.April 1857 pension return Chelsea pensioners .Pension started 16 Sep 1814 Pension 1 3  .Increased.Manchester district.Born Holdom Lancashire discharged age 25years .
Death  9 March 1861 age 71years  so born 1790
Betty widow of Joseph Melhuish Parkfield buried 20 Aug 1874 age 88 years Middleton Lancashire

Joseph Melluish private 40th Foot Enlistment 25 July 1799 WO25  975

Joseph Mellish 14 regiment of Foot 25 Dec 1814-24 Jan 1815 Rogonaulpore Camp

So perhaps the latter 2,in the 40th or 14th regiment.

A Also saw this

1851 census Camberwell
Joseph Meluish 73 annuitant Bristol Temple Meads
Betty 65 Tiverton Devon
Mary Ann Clark married 27 niece Camberwell
Mary Robinson 23 servant Deptford

Burial Joseph Melhuish Southampton St Camberwell 19 May 1853 age 75 years.Born 1778

Just in case it helps.

Ciderdrinker

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 December 22 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much. I thought the Greenwich Hospital chap was mine, but looking at the details, he's not (is the whole top paragraph the same man?)
I think he must be the chap in the 40th regiment ,as the 14th were in India spanning the time Joseph had his last child. I do not know if records exist for the bottom two men.' soldier ' is so vague, no rank or regiment on baptism records., I wish I had more, very frustrating. As for his wife Elizabeth Oliver ,I can't find anything for her.
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford