Author Topic: William Jones Aitken  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
William Jones Aitken
« on: Saturday 10 December 22 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Good evening all,

I am looking for William Jones Aitken, who was supposedly born in Glasgow in 1862/1863. Sadly Scotland's People is not being kind to me today.

He was in Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand, in 1885, when he married his first wife.

I would be very pleased to know the names of his parents, his birth date.

Edited to show correct marriage year.

Thank you
Jean Price
New Zealand
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Jones Aitken
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 December 22 04:53 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for William Jones Aitken, who was supposedly born in Glasgow in 1862/1863. Sadly Scotland's People is not being kind to me today.

He was in Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand, in 1855, when he married his first wife.

Jean, Could you please check your dates. At the moment, he seems to have married before he was born. Do you mean he married in 1885?

What are his parents names from his marriage certificate?
Milligan - Jardine Glencross Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark Faulds Cuthbertson Bryson Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale Cater Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 December 22 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Neale,
Yes he married in 1885.
I will edit my original message.
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 December 22 09:10 GMT (UK) »
There is no birth of a William Aitken with middle name Jones in the births index at Scotland's People. This means either that he acquired a middle name at some later date (not unusual) or that he was illegitimate and registered as William Jones, or that he was registered under some other surname.

There are 25 births of William Aitken between 1861 and 1864, of whom 11 were in Glasgow.

There are 8 births of William Jones between 1861 and 1864, of whom 2 were in Glasgow.

So you need some more information to pinpoint him.

Does his marriage certificate not give the names of his parents?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 December 22 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Forfarian.
I was hoping to not have to spend money in NZ when I have credits with Scotland's People. I will see what his divorce papers include.
Regards
Jean Price