Author Topic: 1841/1851 census look up - Ann Swettenham  (Read 1501 times)

Offline SharonK

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1841/1851 census look up - Ann Swettenham
« on: Tuesday 06 September 05 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hello all  :)

I wonder if someone could please try to find Ann Swettenham on the 1841 and/or 1851 census.

She was born in Stanton (I think its the Derbyshire one because other members of the family seem to be from Ashbourne and Swinscoe) around 1836 (dates vary a bit!).

She married Thomas Winstanley in Manchester in 1855 and had her first known child in 1859.

The name Swettenham is new to me and seems to have a few variations in spelling! eg Sweetenham, Swetenham, Swetham.

Hope someone can help  :)

Thanks in advance,

Sharon

TASKER Oxfordshire, EATON Oxfordshire, WIGGANS Lancs, GIFFORD Lancs, PARK Lancs, COTTAM Lancs, BECK Lancs, WINSTANLEY Lancs/Cheshire, VARLEY Garstang/Lancs, NEWTON Preston/Lancs, WOODHOUSE Halton, ECCLES Preston, SCRAGG Oxford/Preston, LAKE/LEAKE/LEAK/LEEK! Preston, WILDING Longton, Lancs, GREEN Bilston/Wolverhampton, JACKSON Bilston/Albrighton, FISH Blackburn/Lancs, WHARTON Lancs

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 census look up - Ann Swettenham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is no Ann Swettenham in the 1851 census index.

Sorry :'(

Sunflower
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SharonK

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 09:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking! I wonder if she was already in Lancashire by this time then? When you say she's not on 1851 index I presume you mean for the whole of the county of Derbyshire?

Thanks!

Sharon
TASKER Oxfordshire, EATON Oxfordshire, WIGGANS Lancs, GIFFORD Lancs, PARK Lancs, COTTAM Lancs, BECK Lancs, WINSTANLEY Lancs/Cheshire, VARLEY Garstang/Lancs, NEWTON Preston/Lancs, WOODHOUSE Halton, ECCLES Preston, SCRAGG Oxford/Preston, LAKE/LEAKE/LEAK/LEEK! Preston, WILDING Longton, Lancs, GREEN Bilston/Wolverhampton, JACKSON Bilston/Albrighton, FISH Blackburn/Lancs, WHARTON Lancs

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Yes the index covers the whole of Derbyshire.
Looked at other spellings as well.

Sunflower
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SharonK

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 09:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks - really appreciate it. Will re-post on Lancs board I think!

Sharon

Offline davidSw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Try borrowing two books from your local library  "Swinscoe Blore and the Bassetts"   and  "Calton is my dwelling place"   both by David Swinscoe   You will  find Swetnam and a number of variations of the name.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure this must have been resolved by now, but for anyone else coming across this thread, Ann Swettenham was actually born in Ellastone, Staffordshire - after her marriage 1861 census says born Stanton, Lancashire and 1871 Stanton, Staffordshire.

Stanton, Staffordshire described as 'a village and township in Ellastone parish'.

In 1841 Ann is with her family in Ellastone - surname transcribed as 'Swetanham'.

In 1851 I believe she is the Ann Sweetman born Staffordshire who was a servant in Manchester.

She was bp.27/12/1835 Ellastone, Staffs. dau. of John and Dinah - a Dinah Swettenham was a witness when she married in 1855 who could have been either her mother or sister.

So, in this instance the Stanton referred to was in Staffordshire and this came under Ellastone parish.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk