Author Topic: Need help goldsmith/hardy  (Read 3463 times)

Offline Hardygirl85

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help goldsmith/hardy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 December 22 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Also as you can see Gertrude Mary goldsmith used her middle name of Mary never was to be called Gertrude again a gypsy thing where first names were both the same as the mother and use of middle name as first name , also Joseph I would presume would of been “joe” or joey , may being used as a middle name very gypsy thing to do also I myself have my two daughters
Rosie -may
Ellie-mae
The may is the middle name of my grandmother my grandfather names his first child Leslie melvyn which was his first name and the middle name of his brother then he went on to have a son with melvyn as middle name
Sorry I’m just trying to give as much info as I can to assist with all this as I want to sit down and actually draw a tree for the children Thankyou for all your help it is much appreciated  :)

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 December 22 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello, thanks for all the extra information you gave!
Here are some dates and information about some of Gertrude (Mary) Hardy's siblings just so you know the dates:
JOSEPH ANDREW ROBERT GOLDSMITH (named after his dad Joseph Andrew Goldsmith and his grandad- Robert Fisher). Joseph was born July 1919 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk and died in June 1980 in Norwich. According to burial records he was buried on May 12th 1980 in St Ethelbert, Norfolk. He married a woman called Elizabeth M Wilson in 1946 in Kings Lynn Norfolk. I think she might have died (or they divorced) and he re-married to Joan Elvin in 1977 Depwade, Norfolk.

SIMON HAROLD (known as Harry) GOLDSMITH was born in April 1921 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk and died in 2006 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk. Not sure who he married, you may know.

JESSIE ELEANOR GOLDSMITH born May 1922 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk, she died in September 1987 also in Kings Lynn, Norfolk. I think she married Eric Gordon Neal in 1958 in Kings Lynn.

CHARLES E GOLDSMITH was born in December 1923. His birth was recorded in Cardiff, Glamorganshire- I'm assuming as this is the only Charles Goldsmith born with mmn Fisher at the right time, and you mentioned them travelling to Wales I think. He died in March 2000 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk. Not sure who or if he married, again you may know this.

STANLEY DAVID GOLDSMITH was born in August 1925 also in Cardiff, the same as older brother Charles. Stanley died in 2002 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk.

WYNDHAM RAYMOND GOLDSMITH (his middle name, Raymond, is where your grandfathers brothers name comes from) was born in January 1927 also born in Cardiff. He died in May 2006 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk. Wyndham married Sheila M Hutson in 1952 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk.

IVY M GOLDSMITH was born in 1928 in Cardiff, and then sadly died young in the same year in Cardiff (not sure if she lived months or just days)

some more specific birth dates you might want:
Gertrude Maud Fisher (became Goldsmith when married) was born January 5th 1898
Harry Goldsmith (real name Simon) was born April 5th 1921
Wyndham Goldsmith was born January 14th 1927
Charles William ''Bill'' Hardy was born November 19th 1919
Gertrude Mary Goldsmith was born 17th May 1917

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 00:34 GMT (UK) »
D G b 1933 could still be alive in which case you need to remove his name & details from your last reply as Rootschat has a strict no living persons policy

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Very sorry, completely forgot I wrote that, will do now.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Simon died as Harold Simon N Goldsmith.  His birth reg shows Simon Harold N Goldsmith .  There is a marriage in Norfolk 1962 on freebmd
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 00:51 GMT (UK) »
GRO online shows the N as Neale for Simon’s 3rd christian name

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 01:08 GMT (UK) »
1962 marriage was to a Helen Maud Messing

Death of Helen Maud Goldsmith b 1922 March qtr 2013 per GRO online

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 15:33 GMT (UK) »
some more information on Joseph Andrew Goldsmith:
He was born on September 8th 1894 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk- his parents were Joseph and Annie Goldsmith. As you can see on the earlier post from CaroleW of the 1901 census that Joseph A Goldsmith is on, it says that his grandmother (Annie's mother) was called Elizabeth Dale. This means that Annie's maiden name was Dale too. Joseph Andrew Goldsmith's parents married in 1894 (the year he was born) in Kings Lynn.
These are the siblings of Joseph Andrew Goldsmith (the children of Joseph Goldsmith and Annie Dale):

Frederick Walter Goldsmith - born in 1896 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk.

Martha May Mary Goldsmith - born 1899 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk, sadly died in 1901.

Florence E Goldsmith - born 1902 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk.

Annie Goldsmith - 1905 in Kings lynn, Norfolk.

Mildred Goldsmith - 1908 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk.

In the 1911 census, Joseph Andrew Goldsmith was not living with his family on 39 Sir Lewis Street in St Margaret's, Norfolk. This is his family without him on the census: (his dad was also not there)
Annie Goldsmith 36     domestic duties
Frederick Goldsmith 14      errand boy
Florence Goldsmith 9
Annie Goldsmith 6
Mildred Goldsmith 3
Elizabeth Dale 70  (the mother of Annie Goldsmith (nee Dale)

On the census, Annie put that her husband Joseph was still alive and left a line blank at the top for his name.

Joseph Andrew Goldsmith on the 1911 census was on a training ship for the marine society sea training, the ship was in Dartford, Kent at the time of the census. Joseph was a sea apprentice.

Joseph Goldsmith     16       sea apprentice     marine society sea training     born in Kings Lynn

I am not sure where his dad Joseph Goldsmith was in 1911, why he was not with the family and children in Norfolk.

There is a record of Joseph Andrew Goldsmith's service for the Royal Navy. He did military service between 1914 and 1925.

He married Gertrude Maud Fisher in 1916 in Portsmouth and then died in 1936 in Glamorgan.