Author Topic: Mr great-great-grandfather Arthur Gibson (b abt. 1883 – TBC)  (Read 9258 times)

Offline olympus593

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mr great-great-grandfather Arthur Gibson (b abt. 1883 – TBC)
« on: Thursday 22 December 22 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone and Merry Christmas! I haven’t posted in a while but have been doing some family tree research during the Christmas break.

I am trying to find any records for my great-great-grandfather Arthur Gibson (b abt. 1883 – TBC) post 1939. I have plenty of information and documents for him pre 1939 so do not require any assistance in that area.

What I do know:

A bit of background information: Arthur Gibson (b abt. 1883 – TBC) married his second wife, Elizabeth Lucy Gibson, née Heath (b 1909 - d 1984)  in 1935 at the Weybridge Registry Office, Surrey, England.

In the 1939 England and Wales Register. Arthur and Elizabeth are recorded as living at 15 Huntille Cottages, Stoke-On-Trent. Arthur’s son Arthur Frear Gibson (b 1915 – d 1975), daughter in law Violet, and granddaughter Beryl (b 1939 – d 1941) are living with them. Arthur was working as a Clerk of Works (Bldg & Public) and did this for most of his life. This is the last address I have for them. The last record I have for Arthur.

When Arthur’s father, Frear Gibson (b 1857 – d 1940), a grocer, died the will index lists ‘left to’ his step son James Alan Reekie (b 1904 – d 1974), who was a school teacher.

Elizabeth Lucy Gibson latter married William A Cartwright in Ploughley, Oxfordshire in 1969. She died in 1984 in Oxfordshire.

What I do not know:

I do not know exactly when Arthur Gibson (b abt. 1883) died, I have mentioned this in another of my posts from a few years ago and members copied me in to a possible Stoke-On-Trent death in 1946 + 1948. I know that Arthur Gibson and his second wife, Elizabeth moved arround quite a bit so I do not know if they stayed in the Stoke-On-Trent area.

A possible lead, I do not yet know if Arthur and his second wife, Elizabeth, attended Arthur’s daughter, Millicent Gertrude Gibson (b 1921 – 1984) wedding in Newton Abbot, Devon in 1944.

What I am trying to find out:

I am trying to find an address/record for either Arthur, or his second wife Elizabeth post 1939. I have access to the British Newspaper Archive and Ancestry, have spent many hours looking! Do you think its possible that I could find them in a directory? I have not had any luck so far in that area!

Any advice or infromation greatly appreciated.

Hillyer - Combe Down, Bath, England.
Gibson - Foston on the Wolds, Yorkshire, England.
Ball - Longbridge Deverill, Wiltshire, England.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Mr great-great-grandfather Arthur Gibson (b abt. 1883 – TBC)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 December 22 17:23 GMT (UK) »

When Arthur’s father, Frear Gibson (b 1857 – d 1940), a grocer, died the will index lists ‘left to’ his step son James Alan Reekie (b 1904 – d 1974), who was a school teacher.

The will index shows the executor who is not necessarily the benefactor, do you have the actual will
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline olympus593

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 December 22 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie. Interesting point, I do not have the actual will. Frear lived with J. A. Reekie up until he died.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 December 22 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie. Interesting point, I do not have the actual will.

Only costs £1.50 for a copy from here:
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 December 22 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Was Arthur's 2nd wife possibly known sometimes as Bessie. There is a 1960 death of an Arthur who's probate record mentions a Bessie Gibson, widow.

John

Offline olympus593

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 December 22 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi John, I have just found the record you mention. I do not believe this to be her. Elizabeth Lucy Gibson, as far as I am aware was only known as Elizabeth. Was really hoping to pick up Arthur on a directory/address book of some kind or maybe Elizabeth in later life. As far as I know Arthur and Elizabeth did not have any children.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 December 22 07:24 GMT (UK) »
In your opening post you mention you are not sure if Arthur attended his daughters marriage in 1944. Do you have her marriage certificate. It may record if he is deceased which could possibly narrow down a timeline between then and when Elizabeth Lucy remarried , and was Elizabeth a widow when she remarried.

John

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 December 22 08:05 GMT (UK) »
A bit of background information: Arthur Gibson (b abt. 1883 – TBC)
GRO Index
Arthur Gibson June 1/4 1883 Hartlepool vol 10a page 137. Mother's maiden name Bainbridge
So Arthur born Co Durham as recorded on the 1891 census.

Offline olympus593

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 December 22 11:07 GMT (UK) »
In your opening post you mention you are not sure if Arthur attended his daughters marriage in 1944. Do you have her marriage certificate. It may record if he is deceased which could possibly narrow down a timeline between then and when Elizabeth Lucy remarried , and was Elizabeth a widow when she remarried.

John

Hi John. That is very much where I am too. Trying to see if Arthur and Elizabeth Lucy Gibson attended Millicent's G wedding in 1944 at Newton Abbot. I do not have Millicent's G marriage certificate but may be something to order in the future! I know Millicent's daughter and have asked if she has a copy in her collection, fingers crossed!

I do not have the marriage certificate for Elizabeth Lucy Gibson for when she remarried. I know she remarried from the 1939 register (updated in Green, Surname Cartwright and OX 20.5.69) which corresponds to a William A Cartwright - Elizabeth Lucy Gibson marrige in Ploughley, Oxfordshire 1969.

I am tempted to order a copy of Frear Gibson's will next!

@Crisane Thank you, I do have that record. It is correct  :)