Author Topic: Specific research info sought  (Read 5225 times)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Specific research info sought
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 18:51 GMT (UK) »
All Soul’s RC church at Weaste didn’t have a burial ground, what is recorded is that the funeral took place in that church on that day. You can see a transcribed entry on the lan opc site. She is recorded as Maria because that was the Latin version of Mary and RC churches at that time held their services in Latin and recorded the entries in, sometimes very odd, Latin.

You will have to look at the local cemeteries to find where she was actually buried.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Salford Cemeteries have given their cemetery records to Deceased on line and on their site is a Mary Ann Gavin buried 29 June1918 at a Greater  Manchester Cemetery. That ties in with entry at All Souls which state she died on 26 June and was buried on the 29 June. To see the actual entry and where she was buried you will have to pay.

Offline Vendee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Salford Cemeteries have given their cemetery records to Deceased on line and on their site is a Mary Ann Gavin buried 29 June1918 at a Greater  Manchester Cemetery. That ties in with entry at All Souls which state she died on 26 June and was buried on the 29 June. To see the actual entry and where she was buried you will have to pay.

Thank you for that information.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gibel.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 21:37 GMT (UK) »

I think she is Theresa Gavin, b Sheffield at 1901 3731/59/15 boarding with William Smith b Sheffield and family in Salford.  Would that be her half brother?
If there is a William Smith on that same entry then I'm not sure it is her half brother. He was born in Suffolk and would have been 28 in 1901. Last thing I heard about William was on the 1891 census when he  an "inmate" at the Market Weighton Roman Catholic reformatory in Yorkshire, have been sent there for 5 years in 1897. I didn't think he ever joined up with his family in Salford but I may be wrong.

In 1901, William Smith, 27 yrs states he is born Sheffield.
This looks like the family in 1911 where William Smith shows born Staffordshire  :-\
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW13-9W4

In 1921, however, there is William Smith, b 1872 , Suffolk with wife and children looking very like the 1911 family.

This looks to be the marriage
1896 Salford Register Office or Registrar attended
William Smith and Elizabeth Wolfe

Offline Vendee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 22:17 GMT (UK) »

I think she is Theresa Gavin, b Sheffield at 1901 3731/59/15 boarding with William Smith b Sheffield and family in Salford.  Would that be her half brother?
If there is a William Smith on that same entry then I'm not sure it is her half brother. He was born in Suffolk and would have been 28 in 1901. Last thing I heard about William was on the 1891 census when he  an "inmate" at the Market Weighton Roman Catholic reformatory in Yorkshire, have been sent there for 5 years in 1897. I didn't think he ever joined up with his family in Salford but I may be wrong.

In 1901, William Smith, 27 yrs states he is born Sheffield.
This looks like the family in 1911 where William Smith shows born Staffordshire  :-\
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW13-9W4

In 1921, however, there is William Smith, b 1872 , Suffolk with wife and children looking very like the 1911 family.

This looks to be the marriage
1896 Salford Register Office or Registrar attended
William Smith and Elizabeth Wolfe

Thanks again for your help. I'm trying to pick through the information I've been getting here. Your link to the Staffordshire William Smith isn't my relative. He was definitely born/registered in Kedington, Suffolk. The other thing is that once his mother Mary Ann Smith moved to Sheffield and married Joseph Gavin, William appears in the 1881 census as William Smith but in the 1891 census during his 5 year spell at the reformatory school he was William Gavin. The press cuttings and reformatory records from his stealing offence also refer to him as William Gavin. I'm not sure if he would have reverted to Smith again but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, family members were not averse to changing surnames when it suited them.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 22:41 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 family and the 1921 do look to be the same.
If it is him he gives Sheffield in 1901 which is understandable as he lived there.

People don’t always give the correct birthplace. It would be worth noting the family anyway just in case.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 22:53 GMT (UK) »
If this is William - William Gavin 18 yrs , Roman Catholic Reformatory School, Holme, Yorkshire, he gives his birthplace as Sheffield.
1891 3902/50

Offline Vendee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 29 December 22 09:50 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 family and the 1921 do look to be the same.
If it is him he gives Sheffield in 1901 which is understandable as he lived there.

People don’t always give the correct birthplace. It would be worth noting the family anyway just in case.

You are right. William would have been an infant, less than 3 yo when he moved from Suffolk to Sheffield. He would have little or no memory of it. I'm guessing that Mary Ann was disowned by her family when she had the child and that forced her to Sheffield for a new start. I need to check out if William really was staying with his half sister in 1901. I've not even looked at any 1921 census records as I don't have a "Find my Past" subscription yet. To be honest, most of the gaps in my knowledge are pre 1921. Thanks again for your help.