Author Topic: William Sadler (1739-1809) of Clay lane, North Wingifield.  (Read 2994 times)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Sadler (1739-1809) of Clay lane, North Wingifield.
« on: Monday 02 January 23 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I wonder if someone can help.  My ancestor is William Sadler who lived with his family at Clay Lane, North Wingfield but also had properties/farms in Clarborough, Notts.    Williams'parents were John Sadler (1709-1785) and Ann Hawksley (1712-1782)

I ound a piece of information that the Sadler family lived at Park House, Clay Lane but cannot find out anything more, nor am I sure of its authenticity. I do not know whether this includes William or his parents.

I realise Park House may well have been very close to the location of the Parkhouse colliery, ClayCross.  Perhaps the colliery was named after the location of the house?

I would appreciate any assistance on Park House!  Thank you!

marp

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: William Sadler (1739-1809) of Clay lane, North Wingifield.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marp

I have always understood that Park Hall and Park House were areas of land, but who knows.

Have you read the following:-

https://northwingfield.wordpress.com/2021/04/19/a-walk-up-parkhouse-road/

https://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-2300-1/dissemination/pdf/040/DAJ_v040_1918_202-206.pdf

Another thought, there are a number of wills William Sadler who died  North Wingfield

1763. He is Husbandman - so renting and living Clay Lane

1806 He is a Farmer, of Clay Lane renting the farm from the Trustees of the Mansfield Hospital.

Could be assumed they were both renting same farm/land, so may be worth searching for rercords
Relating to the hospital.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 January 23 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, marp.
Some of my Brocksopp ancestors lived at Park Hall/Parkhouses, and one married a Sadler, but my information doesn't seem to quite match yours. Henry Brocksopp (1654-1707) married Mary Marriott from PH in 1681. In 1683 he was the executor and residual beneficiary of a William Marriott, husbandman of PH, and presumably acquired some sort of tenancy at that point. By the time of his death in 1707 he was a yeoman and so had a long term lease, which passed to his son William. William died in 1763 and left his real estate in Pilsley and Parkhouses to his grand son William Sadler, son of his daughter Mary and John Sadler of Allestree, (subject to various payments to other relatives).

So it would seem that either there were two William Sadlers with land at PH at that time, or you've got the wrong parents for your William. As spendlove says, it's quite possible that Parkhouses referred to an area containing several land holdings, and that different Sadlers "owned" different bits of it.

David

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 January 23 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks  Spendlove and David for your responses.  Both were very useful.  I realise my information regarding Park House and Parkhouses was probably incorrect.   However, your replies set me on the path ro find out whether "my" William Sadler" really was in my family tree.  Thank you David for pointing out that there was more than one person at that time named William Sadler and to Spendlove for pointing out there were a number of  Sadler wills around.

1)  I downloaded the will of William Sadler  of Clay Lane dated 1808 and hit paydirt so to speak.   In this will he names his nephew John Allsobrooke and his sister Ann Brailsford.     In my family tree  I have an Ann Sadler  (direct line and DNA match) who married William Allesbrook and had a son John (the nephew named in the will).  On the death of her first husband, Ann married Samuel Brailsford and was referred to in the will as his sister Ann Brailsford.

2)  The will refers to William's brothers James, Roger, Thomas and Samuel and a deceased brother John.   They too are in my family tree.

3)  I think I can confirm that my William Sadler and his siblings were the children of John Sadler and Ann Hawksley.

One final query.  Spendlove you said that William Sadler was a husbandman in 1763.  Can you give me the reference for this please?

Thanks again both of you, I am slowly getting this sorted.

marp

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 23 06:49 GMT (UK) »
FreeREG may have transcribed the 21 Jul 1772 Marriage incorrectly as it has Ann ALSEYBROOK as a Spinster.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 23 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this.  When I first began researching my family tree I thought I had reached a brick wall as I was looking for Ann Allsebrook marriage to Samuel Brailsford and wondering why I could find nothing about the bride as I had wrongly assumed she was a spinster not a widow.

As I am sure you know the spelling of Alseybrook/Allsebrook/Allsobrook varies.

Thanks again, marp

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 January 23 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It is the will on FindMyPast for William Sadler, 1763 North Wingfield

2nd line reads

“And County of Derby Husbandman being in perfect health”. Etc
He names
Wife Martha
Daughter Ellin.
Sons.  William who gets tenant right to houses etc in Clay Lane & Woodhead
           John only gets 5 shillings, this could be an indication that either John had displeased him in
            Some way OR he had received money/property previously.

This is connection if you have FindMyPast

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fstaff%2f007623131%2f00126&parentid=gbprs%2fstaff%2fwills%2f417796

Spendlove

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 January 23 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,

On FindMyPast there are marriage licences. Have you looked at these?

John Sadler 1729 Chesterfield to Ann Hawkes, but Hawksley if you read the documents.
Ann is only 17 and John abt 22.  Interestingly it states that John was of North Wingfield
But now of South Wingfield.

This could tie in with his fathers Will, is this the cause of trouble OR is this when his Father financed him?

Spendlove

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 January 23 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Spendlove,

John Hawksley was left 5 shillings in his father's will and sister Ellin twenty-five pounds!  I have not unearthed any information of prior transfer of land/goods so perhaps his father was not pleased with him.

Regarding the marriage licence from South Wingfield, I have come across this a number of times while doing family history of people in the North Wingfield area.   I seem to recall some information  that there was a period of time when it was easy to obtain a licence to marry from South Wingfield even if parents had not given consent as may have been the case with the John Sadler and Ann Hawksley as she was only 17 and so under-age. I have never had the impression that someone had to be resident in the parish of South Wingfield to obtain this licence.  John Sadler and Ann Hawkesley married in Chesterfield.which is of course very near to North Wingfield where both of them lived.

I find wills fascinating and really informative and accessing them has made a huge difference to doing family history.

marp (Marilyn)