Author Topic: Junior Red Cross in 1950s at School  (Read 4560 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Junior Red Cross in 1950s at School
« on: Monday 02 January 23 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone remember being part of the Junior Red Cross at School.  We all wore white dresses with red cape and a veil.  My question is what did we do?  Did we have weekly, monthly etc. meetings - were they at lunch time or part of the school curriculum?  Did we have stalls to sell items or make items?  Was there a set written programme for a meeting?   Any information would be greatly appreciated to help with my memory.  I was a member but cannot remember meeting. thank you

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Junior Red Cross in 1950s at School
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 00:41 GMT (UK) »
I was a member too, though we didn't wear a particular uniform, but had a metal badge (a red cross) that I think we wore on our school uniform.

I don't really remember exactly what we did either, but I do recall making things to sell at community stalls on weekends, or maybe at a particular stand at the school fete - like crochet coat hangers etc. I think this was done at lunch times as I don't recall staying after school. We might have had talks about first aid, I seem to recall wrapping each other in bandages, and probably about the work of Red Cross around the world.

It's a long time ago!  :D

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 05:35 GMT (UK) »
May be of interest https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/32048594

https://trove.nla.gov.au/search/category/newspapers?keyword=“Junior%20Red%20Cross%20at%20School”&sortBy=dateAsc&startPos=0

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 05:41 GMT (UK) »
There are numerous mentions of the Junior Red Cross in the newspapers.
It was started during WW1. They did fund raising and learned first aide - anything that could be helpful during wartime.
Later on, I think they raised funds to help sick children of ex-servicemen.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline bkr188

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 January 23 14:41 GMT (UK) »
I don't remember ever having meetings or any set agenda.  My only recollection is that my parents paid a membership fee every year and we marched as a group in the Anzac march in our local country town, wearing a red cardigan and a white nurses-like head dress and probably a white dress.
Kent: Plane/Playne/Plain, Brakefield, Oliver, Wells, Mainwaring/Manwaring, Martin, Bishop, Mills, Richardson, Wenman, Holdstock
Bethnall Green: Oliver
London:  Smith,  Nickolay, Blackmore.
Canada: Terry
Switzerland: Kneuss, Bergernat
Goudhurst: Martin
Tipperary Ireland: Woods, Fisher,
County Clare Ireland: Maloney, Whalan, Kilmartin

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 January 23 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Maddys52, Thank you for your input.  I suspect we would have made or provided goods for sale to support Red Cross work.  Perhaps at meetings we discussed first aid or how to help others but I just don't remember - only things I have is a photo of me dressed in my uniform and my Junior Red Cross Badge.  Thanks for the memory

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 January 23 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Dear Neale61, I must try and track down the newspaper articles you mention. Thanks for your help

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 January 23 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks bkr188, I only went to the Anzac Parade in Sydney to watch relatives march past so did not participate as a Junior Red Cross member.  I guess I may have to consider that we paid an annual fee to belong to the group.  Thanks for your help

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 January 23 01:40 GMT (UK) »
I was a junior member and then a cadet of the British Red Cross during the late 60s/early 70s. It was an evening activity and I did it in preference to Brownies/Girl Guides, Girls Brigade or St John Ambulance.

We wore our white school blouses, a black tie with an enamel badge pinned to it, an armband with an embroidered badge on it and our school skirts. Boys also belonged but as I remember it there were mainly girls.

We learnt 'The Kiss of Life and Resuscitation' before it was called CPR on 'ResusciAnne', a dummy. Learnt how what to do in case of an accident, electrocution or drowning and wrapped each other in bandages and learnt how to fit a sling.

One evening after the session my friends and I were waiting for our lift home when a motorcyclist came off his bike and skidded along the road in front of us!😮 Some of us made sure the lad stayed still and stopped the traffic while others ran back to the hall to fetch adults to help him. Luckily he wasn't badly hurt. It was all rather exciting but proved we'd been listening to all the talks we'd been to 😊

I've also just recalled we did a course on Mothercraft and I still have the booklet somewhere 🙂, it certainly helped when I had my own babies years later.

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras