Author Topic: Name of a marriage witness - France 1739  (Read 3058 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Name of a marriage witness - France 1739
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 January 23 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking Zefiro.
Yes, it's such a shame they only begin in 1676.
His first marriage in 1700 at Ciply would probably make him born just before this date.

Gille Carlier's burial is in the Ciply registers 3rd May 1734, but it says he was buried at 'Fontaine Val et Mont', (Fontaine Valmont), about 15 miles east of Ciply.
There is a marriage listed for an Adrian Carlier, (Calier) and Elizabeth Rawez 7 June 1654 at Fontaine Valmont. His parish is difficult to make out.
Once again the register is bad shape with parts of the pages missing.
There's no way if knowing if this may have been Gille's parents of course, but I think Fontaine Valmont was a very small place, and there must have been a reason why his body was taken back there to be buried - in a family plot?
I've not been able to find any Carlier baptisms in the Fontaine Valmont registers, but of course they may have gone to Ciply to have their children baptised, in which case we're back to square one!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 January 23 21:19 GMT (UK) »
The missing parish ends -huin, so it has to be Thuin. This is a place located only 8 km from Fontaine-Valmont. The register there starts in 1628. I didn't find any Ca(r)lier between '28 and '35. Your Adrian may have been born before 1628.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this Zefiro.
This seems to be the end of the line here as far as parish registers go.
I only managed to get further back with other French lines as there are transcriptions of many marriage contracts done by a historian over 100 years ago of Montreuil sur Mer marriages, which were written by notaries, and have been put on line. What a find! They date from before the introduction of marriage registers. I have found one branch back to the mid 1500s.
Maybe there are other notaries records waiting to be transcribed and digitised for other places.
We live in hope!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs