Author Topic: Ornamental gate in Uppingham, Rutland 1930  (Read 523 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ornamental gate in Uppingham, Rutland 1930
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 January 23 16:15 GMT (UK) »
I wondered that too as there is a strip of wood at the top isn't there?  I think it is partly installed as it would have been made in the forge and workshops at the ironworks.  There was certainly no dressed stone there. 

Alternatively it could have been propped up against a studio backdrop for the photo I suppose.  However there is no photographic studio stamp on the back of the picture and no photographer name on the front either.   

There is another gate photo and other item photos published in the magazine article I mentioned in the OP and they are all credited to S Powell, Wellingborough.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 January 23 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for confusing things, when I said studio I meant the studio that your GG worked in. Not a photography studio. I should probably have said workshop as that would have been more accurate.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 January 23 16:35 GMT (UK) »
It's food for thought though.  Did the photographer bring a backdrop to the forge?  This gate must have been heavy and perhaps is still partly on its wooden frame to prop it up for the photo - wherever the photo was taken.  That stonework could be a red herring couldn't it? Or it could be partly installed.

However other photos I have are on a plain background. So I imagine the local photographer brought a plain backdrop with him to the workshop (I found Samuel Powell, photographer, in trouble in court in 1919 for cutting out an ad from a newspaper in Wellingborough library reading room).   There are photos of a gate in Sittingbourne (so must have been photographed before being transported there) and a lampholder for a church in Dorset.  GE worked to architects' designs which is probably why his work is all over the country.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 January 23 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Looks like it’s in situ to me - I think what looks like wood might be stone, and the metal sides of gate look to be imbedded in the stone. If there is wood it could be because the photo was taken during installation perhaps?

Have you considered contacting the churches in the area in case there is a “friends of” group or someone who can help you?

The AM could be initials of first name and surname, or may be two people, one with name starting with A and the other M.

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 January 23 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Good thought re two names.

The Uppingham local history soc are on the case and I would have expected them to be considering churches.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 January 23 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought.

I have installed gates at home on a couple of occasions, and the best way to keep them in place whilst fixing them, is to use blocks of wood underneath. Also, it is unlikely to find a temporary position with exactly the same width.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 January 23 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Please keep us updated Val.  :)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 January 23 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Uppingham local history soc has suggested contacting Lyddington history soc so I’ve done that. Let’s see.
Crook, Bannister, Warren