Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending 28 January 2023  (Read 3415 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending 28 January 2023
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 28 January 23 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, some of the "marbling "paints" available are certainly better than others. I'd use droppers as Viktoria suggests,  to give as much control as possible, and don't overmix.
I've done endpapers that way, for a special project, helping a friend, and I certainly didn't get my hands in it, even though I was probably wearing rubber gloves!
You need almost to float the paper - thick paper better than card - and best use tongs to whisk it off quickly, straight onto drying rack for each of the multiple "dips" of fresh sheets of paper to use up the "gloop". The idea is a thin film of it on each sheet. Better luck next time.
Glad you enjoyed my "Cat tail". Current cat is nursing a sore, somewhat scabby face. Vet thinks she'll be alright, but we're considering changing her name to "Scarface", just in case!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 28 January 23 14:26 GMT (UK) »
TY, loved your cat story!  I have taken in a couple of strays over the years, one sadly was then hit by a car (this was during the years before most towns and cities passed bylaws about cats roaming freely) and the other turned out to be pregnant.  She had two kittens, and the vet assured us she would not get pregnant again for a while, well he was wrong!  She quickly had another litter of four.  We kept one, and the mother (she was semi-feral) and the others were adopted.  One of the kittens died soon after adoption and the mother went on to have many more litters (she lived in the country, and basically roamed freely).

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 28 January 23 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice Viktoria and TY…
I bought these paints at CL Christmas fair and the demo was good! I bought my 7 yr old grandson a set too and when we had a go at Christmas we did well and got some great results!
I have done all you’re suggesting exempt using tongs to take the card out.. I shall try again. It’s great fun though despite the mess I got into! The papettes work ok just have to be careful not to put too much ink in!
Here’s a pick of what I’ve done so far.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 28 January 23 15:16 GMT (UK) »
What creative energy, Caroline! Pipettes are essential, really. Remember, you need to be in control.
Most of the marbling I've seen done has been more fluid and swirly - your examples are very controlled, really. Well done.
DianeCanada - glad you enjoyed the totally true cat story. We've always had cats, but some more characterful than others, obviously. Present feline is the 15 year old survivor of twins, her sister died last June, and she rules us with a rod of iron!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 28 January 23 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Glad you rescued your cardies Viktoria
I wonder if you did sneak out without yous son seeing you ...I 9magine some kind of dark garments & getaway music  ( can't think what film it's from but the kind where they break into safes

Caw thanks for the Livy marbling

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 28 January 23 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Oh now that is lovely, what we ( the children abd I - at school) was just swirled ,like the endpapers of old books .Another pleasant thing is to fold a sheet of good paper,cartridge for preference - in half.
Paste thickly with wallpaper paste and put blobs  of paint on,only need to do one side and close over at the fold, massage the top paper gently and open——-hey presto - a lovely abstract design exactly the same both sides of the centre fold,allow to dry the re-fold and cut our half a butterfly in a half butterfly shape ,through the two thicknesses .
They are lovely ,well in a classroom.
Great fun.
Viktoria .

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 29 January 23 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone  :)

My cats were rehomed permanently with me with their previous families' full knowledge and they were still able to visit their old homes, apart from one lady who relocated interstate. I hope Miss Purr is being compliant with her treatment.  I loved your rescue story TY and I am glad that the cat was finally able to trust in you and enjoy la dolce vita.

I was wondering what a backshift was in England, RTL. Did a google.  I think this is what we call a LATE here - an afternoon to evening shift. You will tell me if this is wrong.

I was very moved by your stories about the current cost of living crisis. I imagine people here would go to places like shopping centres or libraries to keep cool at present.  I walk past this block of flats (maybe six) in a leafy suburb here very near the city, universities, and hospitals and I am sure the block has been abandoned.  It is sad that places like this are left when rentals are so hard to find.  I can walk around the back because the suburb has old villas with rear laneway access.  I am sure no one is living there. The back car park is blocked and there is one car there that must also have also been abandoned. It always looks the same and has for years.

I have been watching the Great British Pottery Throwdown on Britbox.  They have the first three seasons on it.  It is interesting to learn about the different techniques.  Not that I have done any pottery since Grade 4.  I still have my efforts from then in the back of the cupboard.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 29 January 23 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Aaaah!  Some lovely cat rescue stories on here this week!
My brother and SiL have had 3 (separate) stray cats down the years who have chosen to move in for life.  These cats have then had the life of Reilly - each so doted on.  I am sure cats spread the word around about where there is a likely good home!

Caroline, you have produced some striking effects with your marbling paints.  You are such a creative person! 

I just say 'back shift' to distinguish from earlier shifts which might be 8-4, 8-8, 10-10 and nightshifts.  At work, they just tend to say day or night shift.  But I think of a later start in afternoon as a 'back shift'.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 29 January 23 09:47 GMT (UK) »
RTL those of us from the north east who have mining ancestors would use the term back shift too lol. My late father in law was a miner who was determined his sons wouldn't go down the mine, so my husband and his brother were the first in the family not to be miners.

I'm always fascinated at the different terms different countries use to mean the same thing. I used to be most puzzled about the American use of purse and pants to mean different things to us here in the UK. I also love that in different countries there are places with the same names. I don't know if we have a Sydney anywhere? My Uncle lived in Canada and for a time lived in London there.
North East of England