Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending 28 January 2023  (Read 3381 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Diary Summary Week Ending 28 January 2023
« on: Sunday 22 January 23 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Thought I would start a new thread for the coming week.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending 28 January 2023
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 23 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Wishing everyone well.  Viktoria, happy to hear your son knows what is causing his pain, hopefully it can be treated.

OH and I both experiencing mild cold symptoms.  He did a Covid test, negative.  He is watching an American football game, think I would rather stick pins in my arm, so boring. I think they are in playoffs, hence his interest.  I will be eating alone tonight and can watch what I like in the living room.

Sorry about Squeaky, Caroline.  As an animal lover, your family has my sympathy.  Our pets are so dear to us.

Out for coffee tomorrow morning, looking forward to it.

Well we finally got snow!  There are a few cms on the ground, very sticky.  Looks very pretty and lightens everything up.  The weather folk are calling for 10-20 cM on Wed into Thursday.  We’ll see. I volunteer at the LDS Family History Centre on Thursday.

LM mentioned a cake, sounds delicious.  OH decided to make a 9 inch square pan one yesterday - Queen Elizabeth cake.  It calls for a coconut topping but we didn’t have any coconut, so he made a simple brown sugar glaze, very nice all around.   I am the baker here most of the time, but I don’t discourage his efforts!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 23 23:21 GMT (UK) »
I think it’s late in the UK so you might not get any replies till tomorrow Diana, so I’ll post to push the thread up the board.

I do envy you your snow. It is lovely.

I also envy you your baking OH. I wish someone in my household would bake a nice cake (and clean up properly afterwards).  ;D

With the cold weather you probably expect to get a few sniffles, but that must also mean that you are catching it off someone.

I’m quite happy for my OH to engross himself in some screen time alone - it gives me a welcome break.

Stay safe when venturing out in your snow.  :) The icy footpaths that the UK rootschatters are dealing with at the moment must be awful - very scary.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 January 23 02:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Diary readers, the down unders are up.

I was going to mention to RTL that we have had free public transport for nurses for almost all of the time since COVID lockdown first started. There was a brief time with restrictions being lifted that this stopped, but that did not last long. Now we have to apply for a special metro card for free travel.

I am choosing to walk to work apart from when it is too dark. I am spoilt with lifts home from kind colleagues.

I have been reading about the tradition of the wooden dollies in your neck of the woods RTL.  I wondered about your avatar. I also wondered if they really use the term Novocastrian in Newcastle, UK as they do in Newcastle, NSW. Just curious about that.

Apart from that,  I am sorry to read of the loss of the much loved Squeaky and I adored the picture of Diana’s grandson.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 January 23 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Most of us realise how pets become part of our family in the home Caroline, nice to see the pictures shared end of last thread of Squeaky and adorable one of her as a kitten, a loved feline buddy who will understandably be much missed.

Pat on the back for you again in responding so quickly to your neighbour after her fall, Viktoria, she's very lucky you heard and was able to check on her and contact family then eventually medical assessment.

LM, pleased for you that you can keep up communications at times with granddaughter on her adventurous travel trip, so good that now possible in real time and to see each other isn't it.

Long weekend coming up, Auckland Anniversary Day Monday 30th. We're celebrating our own 50th wedding anniversary this week and husband's birthday is tomorrow, so perhaps there will be cake :-)
2 more cards from Wellington in mail this morning, from Governor General and the MP for Seniors. I believe they need to be notified to recognise with cards, so expect our youngest is probably responsible for that! It's Wellington Anniversary Day today 23rd and it's still school holidays with term starting dates variable over the next week or so.

Quite summery and a tad too warm but not sure I'd swap for the intense cold … and just seasonal common cold symptoms for you both Diana, fingers crossed.

Cheers for the new week all...

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 January 23 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations Mare on your 50th Anniversary. Hope you have a lovely day. RJ
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 January 23 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for mentioning the cat photos on last week’s thread Mare or I might have missed them.  :)

Oh my, the sweet little baby Squeaky. How adorable!!!  :-* Thanks for posting them Caroline.

Congratulations on your special milestones Mare.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 January 23 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Morning/evening all!

Well this morning is bright sunshine and bitter cold… going to have to venture out to Pilates in an hours time.. it’s great the hall we use is nice and warm!

Congratulations Mare on your milestone anniversary, hope you have a wonderful time and lots of cake! (It’s our 50th in Aug). Wonderful to have celebrations in the summer isn’t it?

Thanks Ruskie et all for you comments about Squeaky… glad you liked the pics I posted of her on last weeks thread.

Diana - I’m sure the white stuff looks great when it’s fresh… hope you get to the LDS  enter and snow doesn’t hamper your journey.

Well off now have a good day all

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 January 23 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Nova, I do like the picture of your cats, my daughter had twin black cats, only difference was one has a tiny bit of white under his chin, rehomed cats already named, one got killed on the road  and the remaining  one somehow had damage to his eye, probably on the road,  then my daughter rehomed a dog and that put the cats nose out of joint as they say,  the person who ran a  local cattery thought this cat would like  a friend, so  my daughter took a pretty black and white female on, that was it, to much for the older cat and he left home,  to big an age difference, she wanted to play and he didn’t, someone must have taken him in as we saw him from time to time, he did used to wander into my daughters house from time to time,  was a real shame

Take care folks

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London