Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending 28 January 2023  (Read 3355 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending 28 January 2023
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 26 January 23 08:22 GMT (UK) »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rTDk9zGCFCY

Re: The Wooden Dolly in my avatar, yes, I doubt whoever committed the vandalism had no intention of taking a bit of wood 'for luck'.  Goodness knows what state of mind this must have been in to do such a thing!

Justmej, I think you and Nova are more up to date with things than I am living on the doorstep. ;)  I didn't know about the herring girl statue until the other day when I was told about it at the local studies.  I was even shown some photos of the work in progress in the workshop and it is looking good.
It is good to think that this will recognise the contribution of work that was made here by women in the past. 
I have added a link to a film of women in 1901 in their work on the fish quay.  There is a bossy overbearing type man on it who seems to give one poor woman a shove but then then the film suddenly cuts off.  He wouldn't get away with such behaviour these days!
I have seen the 'Tommy' at Seaham, which is a very impressive sculpture.

I hope you can get your new slippers exchanged soon Viktoria so you don't have to wear other ones on wrong feet.

I'm off today. SiL will be visiting later and it will be nice to catch up on our chat.   :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 26 January 23 08:36 GMT (UK) »
I won't last the day, out before 7am to get my hairdressers, was dark and miserable but it is looking brighter now, thank goodness.

Hope you sort your slippers put Viktoria,  I desperately  need a new pair but haven't been able to get what I want, I don't do online shopping where I  might have to send things back, so will bide my time ,

Enjoy your day RTL. LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 26 January 23 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Our statue of king Richard III  3 times when in a park
The sword had to be refashioned as a dagger

It has been moved to city centre near the new Richard 3RD centre  which is well lit and hasn't been defaced since .

I hope your lovely statue gets revamped RTL.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 26 January 23 21:04 GMT (UK) »
That footage was incredible for 1901.  I love the idea of honouring the herring women with their own statute.  I am dismayed about Richard III.

Louisa Maud, my two previous cats both rehomed with me, despite already having homes.  I always found this amazing as they were both tom cats who lived separately at the time. One brought the other one "home".  I now have the back courtyard garden enclosed with a pergola and netting which is safer. The clock was brought forward nine hours last night - a record. It is ironic that the former foster mum is now an animal behaviouralist!!!  I do not think cats are retrainable.

Viktoria, I would like foot coolers on hot nights here.  I suppose Flash Harry and Co will not be able to look a potato in the EYE again  ;D

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 27 January 23 08:30 GMT (UK) »
I hope you're pleased with your new haircut LM and that the price wasn't hiked.
Last time, I went there was yet another small raise.  It is only a small salon.  There has been a big drop in clients and so the assistant has had hours drastically reduced.  Fortunately, she has found another job in a shop, so I think she will be alright if the hairdressing job goes altogether.

I am dismayed too about what happened to the Richard III statue.  (That was an incredible story about how his remains were found!). If the Wooden Dolly does come back I think they will have to think of how they can safeguard it from such thuggery in future.

Gosh! It sounds like you have no chance being able to trust your alarm Nova, with the intervention of your beautiful black cats.
It's hard to imagine wanting foot coolers over here; it is so cold.  Yesterday, there was a very sad story in the news about an elderly lady who died of hyperthermia because she had been frightened about the cost of putting the heating on.
The other day on way to work I also read a letter from a bus driver on the letters page of the 'Metro' paper and he had said a woman had got on his bus with a pram saying she was going to ride around for a couple of hours as she couldn't afford to heat their home.  This is all very sad.
Mind, we do have designated 'warm places' people can go to. My home area has quite a few dotted around in libraries, Churches and some centres.  I don't think everyone has heard of this help though - perhaps it ought to be better publicised.

https://www.warmwelcome.uk/

I don't start work till this afternoon today, I'm doing a backshift.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 27 January 23 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Oh Nova, I would not have kept a straight face had I been in charge of that class.
F.H is a nice little boy but something has upset him,not so keen on school this year as he was but his teacher this year is a bit of a dragon, he is not a stroppy kid and objects to being dealt with as if he had been asked to do something many times when once is enough,he is obedient.
She addresses the whole class of six year olds as if they were all naughty when just a couple or a very few have misbehaved .He could see the unfairness when all were shouted at when just he and his friend were the only two to print on one another .
His daddy ,my grandson , has been working very hard at weekends, as prices rise etc , but has decided FH may be upset by that too So perhaps a combination of the two as they are very close and so he has given that up to be at home weekends and they will just have to budget more strictly.
It will pay off in F,H’s being happier.
Mind you Kyra “ The one baby demolition unit” obviously needs her share of Daddy’s time , so his time with daddy is a bit thinner.
They do have - threesomes big “hug ins “, and it will fall into place.

My son and daughter in law are magnets for “ out all day “cats  whose owners work ,however the last one ,a beautiful chunky black one had kidney problems and a special diet ,he had a card on his collar asking people not to feed him as normal fcatfood was really bad for him.
 Sadly he went downhill fast .
My daughter had such a cat ,label on collar but a neighbour kept on feeding him ,he had a cat flap so eventually it had to be closed as the agony he suffered passing stones was dreadful ,my daughter threatened to send the Vet’s bills to her and make her watch the poor thing in agony.

It is hard to know at first if they are true strays .
Motto do not feed “ stray “ cats!

Viktoria.

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 27 January 23 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I have a neighbour who takes in what she thinks are stray cats, had no end of arguments as after awhile the cat moves in and the owner has lost them,  she took in 2 abysinian  type cats, beautiful pedigrees, one died in a fish pond and she still has the other one, the family owner  moved away eventually, she is kind  but cats don't seem to be loyal to one owner,  she over does it and has them in her house and that is it, hooked.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 27 January 23 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hearts go out to all those in Auckland area of NZ with the storms and dreadful flooding going on currently… not a situation any of us want to be in.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 27 January 23 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes indeed, we who are not in those situations must count ourselves lucky .

Let’s hope it gets no worse and the water recedes quickly without loss of life.
Viktoria.