Author Topic: Hawk vs Halt Cafe 1947-1951 . Edgeware road area .  (Read 278 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Hawk vs Halt Cafe 1947-1951 . Edgeware road area .
« on: Monday 23 January 23 01:04 GMT (UK) »
I was bought up to believe my mother Mollie Elizabeth Williams of 24 Paulso Road Kenton met my father Jim Wharton at the Hawk cafe somewhere near Paddington/Burnt Oak . I have now been told it was at the Halt Cafe Colingdale off Edgeware Road . The Halt Cafe was a den of iniquity for truckers , fascist ,rebellious youth and petty criminals . I can safely say my father was not a neo fascist. I will leave the rest open . My grandmother was a proud descendant of a Marquis so I don't know how she coped with her 16 year youngest child going there ? I have googled each cafe and can only find Halt Cafe described above . Does anyone know of either cafe in the area pre 1950 . Could I have heard my mothers cockney accent say Hawk instead of Halt ? Thanks Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk vs Halt Cafe 1947-1951 . Edgewater road area .
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 January 23 01:49 GMT (UK) »
The Halt Cafe appears in the newspapers prior to 1950 (Edgeware road not Edgewater).
And interesting reading the pieces are! 
There are no hits for Hawk cafe in the newspapers. (Well I don’t get them anyway).

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk vs Halt Cafe 1947-1951 . Edgewater road area .
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 January 23 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you . I corrected the Edgeware Road mistake . Interesting that at almost 70 I find I might have had wrong name of cafe . Mum was only 16-17 and then shortly after came to NZ so she may have been mistaken as well .where would I find those newspaper reports please . Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk vs Halt Cafe 1947-1951 . Edgeware road area .
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 January 23 02:01 GMT (UK) »
I am looking at newspapers on FindMyPast, but you can also see them by signing up to the British newspaper archive.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 January 23 02:08 GMT (UK) »
This sort of thing

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 January 23 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I am going to send you private message … thanks Fred

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 January 23 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Fred, just thought you would like to see a photo of the general area in that period. See www.francisfrith.com/uk/colindale/colindale-edgeware-road-the-hyde-c1950_c580002

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 January 23 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred
just for clarity, it is Edgware Road (without a second "e")... some search engines take things literally!
I've just checked all the London stuff I have for that period and can find nothing for a Hawk/Hawks Hawke etc Cafe in the London area. There are references to several Halt Cafes but I agree, the one most likely is that in The Hyde, Edgware Road. Sadly, no reference to which number/house anywhere.
The last listing for the Cafe is in 1952, perhaps it closed then.

In the link to Francis Frith Postcards which MonicaL gave you , on that page someone has left their memory of Colindale. There is a contact email, perhaps you could ask if they remember the Cafe and where its exact location was ie what shop was it next to, nnear the next street corner etc. The row of shops looks very much the same today if you take a look with Streetview.

I think mishearing Hawk for Halt is very possible....and Hawk would have sounded far more interesting to a young lad!
If I turn up  anything else, I'll let you know
Rebel

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 04:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi , Thank you . I have sent this off around the family . My mother was only 16 when she was going there and 19 in 1952 when she came to NZ . She may have mis remembered or it was us Kiwi children who mis heard . My cousin lived in the Greenway for years and he remembered the correct name . I have had to let him know he was right as I eat humble pie … not a thing I do lightly . Thank you for your help . Fred