Author Topic: Elizabeth Davies - Caio  (Read 15321 times)

Offline Edwinsford Farmhouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Davies - Caio
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 14:46 BST (UK) »
HI all, I have used a lot of web sites for research but RootsChat is new! Really interested in reading all your chats on Edwinsford and its family.  I live in Edwinsford Farmhouse (Home Farm as it use to be called) and overlook the mansion and grounds.  I have done a lot of research on the house and family, I have photos and photocopy of letters sent to and from the family at Edwinsford. I have also copies of photos from the National Library in Aberystwyth.  I am always looking for more information and am willing to help anyone.  I am looking to bring back some original items/pictures stories and artefacts to Edwinsford.  I have also dated the family back to 900s which Edwinsford was build on the land known as Rhydodyn. Let me know if you are interested.

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Edwinsford Farmhouse
Is this the large house that I once saw near Talley that was in need of much modernisation? I'm not that good at geography but I remember a few years ago searching out the place Edwinsford, and driving down a long driveway to what must have been once quite a stately home! Don't think I was actually allowed to go down the drive way, but if I got caught, I was going to plead ignorance! lol
Anyway, my research and conncection is that my g.grandmother was illegitimate and the story is that there was some connection to Sir James Drummond of Edwinsford, hence my original first post and interest.  Still searching for years to find the 'daddy'.  Sounds like you've uncovered some fun history and photos - if any letters mention giving money to a Mary Davies - (the mother of the child, Elizabeth) then I'm all ears!

Look forward to hearing from you

Offline Edwinsford Farmhouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Caio Researcher,
Yes that is the same place.  The house is privately owned and he does not like trespassers due to the house being in disrepair and dangerous (I won't say anything!).  As you would have looked to the Edwinsford, to the right is the river Cothi and all the houses which once served the mansion are located over the river (there is a bridge which the family and workers would have used yards from the mansion and the Farmhouse). All these houses are private residence but the Dairy Cottage is a holiday let and is now for sale, you can take a look at the house on-line.  Search: Dairy Cottage, Llansawel. I will look through my paperwork to see if there is any reference to your family.  Most of the letters i believe date back earlier, but I will look and will ask some of the locals who's families have lived here for years.  It may take some time but I will get back to you, however I also have an ancestor who was illegitimate and lived in London.  From what we worked out (some is factual and some guess work) a young girl worked in a stately home, became pregnant from one of the family members, she had a daughter.  The family was looked after for quite some time after.  My grandmother remembers some packages of food and clothing and money was sometimes sent, she remembers that it was from a Lord and Lady and packages was driven to the house by private drivers!  Due to what was then a shameful and embarrassing act it was not talked about or documented, so we have never been able to have any evidence of that had happened. Your story sounds similar to mine, sometimes the mysteriousness adds to the drama of it all.  I hope you have more success with your family tree than I did.

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 19:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply! Thanks for offering to have a look and ask around. For the record, there were 2 children. An older brother Thomas born 1867, but I'm currently looking at Elizabeth born 1874. The mother of both children was Mary Davies. She lived in Cwrt y Cadno and I am told by one of the grandchildren of Elizabeth and a cousin that Sir James Drummond is involved somewhere. Also when I asked my grandmother who was the father of her mother, she said one of the sons of the mansion over the hill? Look forward to hearing from you

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 July 15 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Edwinsford Farmhouse
Is this the large house that I once saw near Talley that was in need of much modernisation? I'm not that good at geography but I remember a few years ago searching out the place Edwinsford, and driving down a long driveway to what must have been once quite a stately home! Don't think I was actually allowed to go down the drive way, but if I got caught, I was going to plead ignorance! lol
Anyway, my research and conncection is that my g.grandmother was illegitimate and the story is that there was some connection to Sir James Drummond of Edwinsford, hence my original first post and interest.  Still searching for years to find the 'daddy'.  Sounds like you've uncovered some fun history and photos - if any letters mention giving money to a Mary Davies - (the mother of the child, Elizabeth) then I'm all ears!

Look forward to hearing from you

I live locally. Have been told the ballroom ceiling at edwinsford hwas the most beautiful ceiling in europe in its time.