Author Topic: Need help with 1841 document surname  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with 1841 document surname
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Apart from that, the only other surname that might fit is Corcadale and variations of it.

Alan - Is it possible for you to find any other children's baptisms, John and Mary's marriage, etc. Tullylush seems to be well documented.

Gadget

Add - I've been looking for Ls but can only find Ss in the surrounding pages.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 01:21 GMT (UK) »
I think the blob is on the line above, Bookbox - just before Samuel.  It could be part of the S in Samuel or a blob before it.

This  a direct copy from the page referred to.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 01:51 GMT (UK) »
I have been squinting over this for some time. Even with Gadget’s modifications, it is difficult.
I like Bookbox’s suggestion a lot, and agree that we seem to be missing the first letter which you would expect to be a capital.
On the latest post from Gadget, I think I see a smaller blob as the start of the L, which is below the big blob starting Samuel.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 01:55 GMT (UK) »
I've looked at the record on a pay site with an index. The transcription has a blank for mother's name.

Will check to see if there are earlier marriages of other baptisms for the couple.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 02:05 GMT (UK) »
Only marriage of a John M*cann to a Mary in Tullylush is in 1844 and Mary's surname is Larry.

I'll look again tomorrow if no one has found one or other baptisms to the couple.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone. Lonsdale variations seem to make the most sense. There are not too many names that end in dale listed. I have been comparing to names in these lists:

https://rosdavies.com/SURNAMES/L/LoaLon.htm

Nothing jumps out... but the name is there.

I haven't found any other children in my registry searches for John McCann besides the two I shared above.

There is a John McCann who dies in Tullylish that would be the right age but his wife is an Agnes.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1884/06309/4808972.pdf
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 04:15 GMT (UK) »
I found a birth for a George in 1843 but the paper goes black for Mary's last name  ::) There is a sliver of a first-letter clue.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 07:54 GMT (UK) »
I think I see a smaller blob as the start of the L, which is below the big blob starting Samuel.

This is exactly what I meant, but I should have written 'speck' rather than 'blob'. The blob definitely belongs to the S in Samuel in the line above. The speck that I was referring to can (just) be seen at the top of my added red line in reply #8.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 09:06 GMT (UK) »
That's one of the ones I saw last night/early hours, Alan. One site had a blank and the other (with a little more definition) had transcribed it as Sa. The S might well have been an L.