Author Topic: RFA Regiment Numbers  (Read 1399 times)

Offline daz68

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
RFA Regiment Numbers
« on: Wednesday 07 September 05 13:59 BST (UK) »
Does anyone no which units the following Royal Field Artillery regiment numbers refer to:

They relate to my Grand father George E Stace who lived in Eastbourne, Sussex and he was a 'driver' in WW1.

Many thanks
Darren
Stace from Sussex, Kemp from Kent, Markham from Lincolnshire

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RFA Regiment Numbers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 15:30 BST (UK) »
darren,your grandfather was in the territorials,his first number was TF920292,RFA,the second i cant be sure of [281909] he was a driver,if he was aged about 31 in 1914,then this is him in 1901.
george,e stace
gunner
royal garrison artillery
born eastbourne
based in kent
if it is him,then you may find him in the territorial medal rolls,and if he was still in the army when the war started,then he may even have a bar to his medal because at the end of the war,he would have served over 18 years,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline daz68

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Mack thanks for this information.  It is definetley him; he was born in 1881 in Eastbourne!  By the way what is the source of your 1901 data?

I have sourced his medal index card from the National Archives, which is attached but it does not show that he received any territorial medals; is there a diferent roll card/index I should be looking for?

Best regards
Darren

Offline daz68

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 17:42 BST (UK) »
Mack I think I might have been a tad to eager to reply as I have realised now that the George E Stace you found was based in Kent AND I have also double checked his birth details and discovered they are actually 1884, making him 27 in 1901.  So this doesn't look like the same man?

1881 is when his brother Henry Richard Stace was born; whom I coincidentally believe was in the TF; any chance that he was listed in your 1901 list?

Darren

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 September 05 08:02 BST (UK) »
daz,hes your man,in 1901 he was 18,in 1914 he would be about 31,the kent location may have meant he was in barracks there,when the census was taken,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 September 05 08:12 BST (UK) »
daz,henry is listed as a gardener in 1901 aged 19/20,his civilian occupation will be normally listed, unless hes in barracks with his unit,sometimes the territorial medal is not listed,i think you may need a kind soul to check the TERR MEDAL roll for you at the N/A,i would check for henry as well if i were you,mack

Offline daz68

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 September 05 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Mack.
I'm still not sure it is the same man as I have a copy of the 1901 Census page where George E Stace and Henry Stace are both living with their parents at 47 Bradford Street, Eastbourne.  George is aged 17 and Henry and 19?