Author Topic: Duncan McGregor of Corshellach, Cromdale  (Read 180 times)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duncan McGregor of Corshellach, Cromdale
« on: Tuesday 31 January 23 14:28 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to untangle the relationships between various McGregors who I now know were at Corshellach from at least 1798 onwards. A Donald, Duncan and John McGregor are named as "of Corshellach" in the 1822 List of Acknowledgement, and I had initially thought that all three men were related to some degree, but now I am not so sure, so would value any help given.

I have had a certain amount of success with tracking down information on Donald and John who are, in fact, father and son, and have even been able to work out a rough tree of the family. Duncan (born 1767, Ryduack, in the parish of Abernethy and Kincardine) is proving a harder nut to crack as I am struggling to trace his line back any further than his parents, Alexander McGregor (possibly the one born 1732, Abernethy and Kincardine parish?) and Janet Grant. Duncan was married three times and had seven children, one of whom was illegitimate, and one born of an adulterous relationship, but I have not had a great deal of success tracking down any of the wives or children with any certainty, either, barring sons Malcolm and William (the illegitimate child).

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan McGregor of Corshellach, Cromdale
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 14:32 GMT (UK) »
"Willox the Warlock," a MacGregor, came from Kirkmichael so not far off. There's a book under that name.

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan McGregor of Corshellach, Cromdale
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Skoosh, I have come across a fair few references to, and stories about, Willox in my searches! McGregors abound in Cromdale and its surrounding parishes (including Kirkmichael), and as a large chunk of these parish records were destroyed, I'm told, by a fire some time in the past, I'm having a very frustrating time! John and his son descend (as far as I am able to tell) from Patrick/Peter McGregor alias Bain who settled on the outskirts of Castle Grant, whereas Duncan's antecedents may have been McGregors who came from the Duthil and Rothiemurchus parishes originally, but I'm having a job amassing enough data to prove it. If it weren't for Duncan's very informative death record (he died in 1855), I doubt I'd have got as far as I have. I'm hoping against hope that there are living descendants of Duncan's children out there other than William, who is my 3x great grandfather on my dad's side.