Author Topic: Great Gidding Baptism records  (Read 413 times)

Offline OneNightWright

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great Gidding Baptism records
« on: Monday 06 February 23 21:26 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone could help me who has access to Great Gidding (Huntingdonshire) baptism records

I am looking for a Sarah Fletton baptised about 1801

Thank

Nick
Wright, Love, Teagle, Gipson, Blessett, Ward, Fletton, Redhead, Mould

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great Gidding Baptism records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 February 23 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Apparently, according to Dusty docs webpage;

http://dustydocs.com/county-page/g/1/england/17/huntingdonshire.html

all the baptism and marriage records are on www.familysearch,org.uk

Good luck - one of my Gt. Gidding ancestors led me back to the Norman invasion.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline OneNightWright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 February 23 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rena,

I have tried Free Reg (Dusty Docs) and no joy, records seen earlier around 1774 however my Sarah Fletton (3 x great grandmother) married Thomas Ward 1n 1826 in Oundle and the Census records show her born around 1800-1801 in Great Gidding.

Wow, how the hell did you manage to go that far back on your ancestry, that is some achievement
 :)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 February 23 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rena,

I have tried Free Reg (Dusty Docs) and no joy, records seen earlier around 1774 however my Sarah Fletton (3 x great grandmother) married Thomas Ward 1n 1826 in Oundle and the Census records show her born around 1800-1801 in Great Gidding.

Wow, how the hell did you manage to go that far back on your ancestry, that is some achievement
 :)

My family is mainly Yorkshire.  However, a William Speight found himself down in Huntingdonshire with the army and brought his bride back to Yorkshire.
Henry VIII set up the Church of England religion circa  1534; so youhave to be lucky enough to find a "gateway".   It's pot luck whether we find a "gateway" ancestor that has already been researched back to "God".   I followed each generation's bride's maternal lines and then realised I was also following a line of Robert and Randolphus Wells/Welles.   There's only one place/cathedral called Welles and that building was built by a Norman Baron. 
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline OneNightWright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Amazing

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Amazing

It's the only surname where I have managed to get back to the days when everyone followed the Roman Catholic religion.

I see the surname "Fletton" that you are researching means "red brick"  ( a yellowish red brick made by compressing moist ground clay in a mold).. 

As there is also a place named Fletton I hazard a guess that when surnames were handed out in 1068 your ancestor lived in Fletton.

On the other hand, I have now read the GENUKI webpage concerning Fletton and see that it was owned by a rich family with the name of Fletton.  Which might mean you could get back further than the protestant era.
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HUN/Fletton

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 11:36 GMT (UK) »
A Sarah Fletton was a witness to the Marriage of WILLIAM Fletton 27 Oct 1825 Oundle

1841 he appears to be widowed.
17 Oct 1858 he remarried and names his Father as WILLIAM, a Labourer,
On Census he is born c 1803 Benefield, Northamptonshire.

There is a James Fletton married 13 Oct 1829, on Census born c 1807 Benefield.

Possible siblings for Sarah?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Christening 2 May 1773, Great Gidding, Huntingdonshire
WILLIAM Fletton to WILLIAM/ELIZABETH
(F/S.Org)

Burial;
WILLIAM Fletton 30 Mar 1819 Benefield, Northants
Age 45 (1774)
(FreeREG)

Bapts Benefield to WILLIAM/MARY
ELIZABETH 12 May 1804 buried 26 May 1804, Parents William/Mary
MARY 21 Jul 1805 buried 8 Aug 1805 Parents William/Mary, infant
JAMES 10 May 1807
THOMAS 31 Jul 1808
CHARLES 2 Dec 1809
ROBERT 9 Jun 1811
JOHN 31 Jan 1813
MARY 28 Jun 1814
ELIZABETH 24 Dec 1815****
(FreeREG)

Now Trees have William marrying 1796;
William Fletton, 2 Oct 1796, Benefield, Northamptonshire
Register Type   Parish Registers
Spouse   Mary Gilbird

So if William was bapt as I have posted above could they have gone back to Great Gidding, had a couple of children including SARAH c 1801 and returned to Marys pob by 1804 to have 1st Elizabeth?

1841/1851 there is a MARY Fletten/Flitton living with the Spriggs Family.

James SPRIGGS married Elizabeth FLETTON  24 Nov 1834

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I was determined to find William c 1803 in 1851 Census (Found him in all others up to 1881}

Great transcription ::)

William Hellen   47 Ag Lab born    Benefield
Ludia Hellen   49

So he married 3 times;
1825 to Ann NEWMAN
1842 to Lydia BIRD, both widowed
1858 to Elizabeth SLATER, both widowed  and names Father as William

4 Feb 1838 Ann was buried age 38
5 Jan 1858 Lydia was buried (GRO has age 60) FreeREG 70, 60 more likely