Author Topic: 1920s accident Easington Lane  (Read 398 times)

Offline Samantha Pratt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1920s accident Easington Lane
« on: Saturday 11 February 23 01:55 GMT (UK) »
I recently read 'Born of the Pit: The story of the BRICKGARTH'. It's about Easington Lane. It's where some of my family lived late 1800s into the early part of the 1900s

In the paper(not sure what to call it as it isn't a book and more than a leaflet) an accident is mentioned that involved a waggon and a child that was killed. Made me curious as I'm sure my grandmother mentioned something about an accident and a child being killed. It seems to have been in the 20s or possibly just before. It states :

'Looking at the Brickgarth of the 1920s....The old colliery railway line that bordered the South side, is in the process of being dismantled. A child had been killed with waggons on the line previously. It was this accident that speeded up the decision to stop its use.'

Just curious really but does anyone have more information? or a link to where I might find it? I did google but I'm starting to think I'm rubbish at using google, I never quite find what I want.

My grandmother appears to have taken the truth of things and distorted them a little. So my curiousity has me wondering if it was a relative of hers.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: 1920s accident Easington Lane
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 23 02:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a newspaper report of the death of Mary Ann STOKOE, 11, at Easington Lane in 1885. Sounds like it may be the one, though it is earlier than 1920s.
Wednesday,  Nov. 11, 1885
Publication: Daily Gazette For Middlesbrough

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 23 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Was reminded of this yesterday - just wondering if you found it interesting and thought it might be the death your grandmother was referring to?

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 March 23 08:21 GMT (UK) »
I think it probably is ... the reference to a girl having been killed "previously" does not imply in any way that it was a recent event at the time.

Deaths on the railways are not that common and are newsworthy ... so if no other newspaper report of a more recent accident turns up on a search, then this looks like the one in question. And grandma may not have been "distorting" it, so much, as repeating not-entirely-accurate hearsay.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Samantha Pratt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 March 23 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you it. It's good to have the facts of something you've been told :)