Author Topic: CORBETT, JAMES and family  (Read 10192 times)

Offline ann belanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
CORBETT, JAMES and family
« on: Wednesday 07 September 05 17:23 BST (UK) »
James Corbett was born approximately 1787 and our family history has it that he was from County Monaghan Ireland.  His wife was Elisabeth (surname unknown born about 1799 in the same county). They had children as follows:

George 1824
John 1825
James 1827
Robert 1829
Jonston 1829
Samuel 1832
Thomas 1838

I am certain that there were daughters as well but I have not found any. There may have been an Elisabeth married to  McQuaig or McQuade as I have a photo of "Aunt Betty McQuaig Co. Monaghan" She may, however have been jame's sister rather than child.

The family came to Canada about 1846 and settled in the Smiths Falls area although in 1853, George is married in new York State to Sarah Rachel Shaw (whose family was from Yorkshire and had come to Canada in 1831)

If anyone has any information on this family or can place James in Co. Monaghan in 1841 perhaps, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

ANN

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: CORBETT, JAMES and family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 September 05 09:07 BST (UK) »
Ann:
I did some quick searching and think I might have something for you. Seems like others in Canada are also researching same family. Here is a posting from 1998 by a Rich Corbett in Toronto.

http://www.gaia.edu/genclass/ireland/monaghan/monaquer4-98.htm
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 19:01:10 -0400
Subject: Corbett

James Corbett b.ca. 1778 and Jane Breakey had 5 children Samuel b.1802, Margaret b. 1803, William b. 1806, Mary Ann b. 1810, and Jane Eliza. All the children were reported to have been born in Ireland.

Before leaving Ireland Samuel married Elizabeth Mills or perhaps her surname was Street, Margaret married William Medill (there are a variety of spellings for this surname the one presented is the one that was used in North America), the other children were unmarried when they reached New Brunswick, Canada in 1822.

Family lore says the family came from County Monaghan, Ireland and the best estimate is that lived between Cootehill, County Cavan, and Drum in Co. Monaghan. A number of Corbetts and Medills are residents of record in the Barony of Dartree, Parish of Ematris.

It is further reported that James was an officer in the British army, an Orangeman and an adherent to the Church of Ireland. A search of the officer's list of the British Army for 1815 failed to confirm his rank or enlistment.

I have exhausted the resources available in Canada and I am trying to establish a verifiable link with Ireland and to confirm what at present are interesting stories.
Rich Corbett, (*)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Good luck!
Pat

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline fataussie

• RootsChat Extra
  • You may hide & run. But finding you is all the fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
   I have a John Corbett b 1804 in Monaghan who married Arabella Brice (Price) in 1829 at Drumreagh.
 A page well worth looking at is the Corbett Study Group at
http://website.lineone.net/~corbett_group/
Hall - Corbett Mog Ire>Aus
Kernaghan - Fowler Lan>Aus
Donaldson Mid Sco>Aus
Ramage Mid Sco>Aus
Dalgleish Mid Sco>Aus
Walton Dur>Aus>NZ
Bullerwell - Worldwide
Wilkinson - Anderson Dur>Aus
Jenkins - Jordan Som>Aus
Kidner - Som
Jaques - Attwood - Page Cherington WAR

Offline paul wil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 22:16 BST (UK) »
Evening Ann,
New to this site. but might have some information that could link later in the family. My Grandparents were Thomas George Corbett who was born Corbyfinn, Ballybay, Co Monaghan in 1900 (died May 1964) he was a farmer and his wife was Isabella Draffin 1900 - 20 Nov 1965. My Greatgrandfather was Thomas Corbett married to Anne Ross both born@1864 at Corbyfinn, Ballybay, Co Monaghan they were farmers.
There were stories of a relative who had gone to Canada but this was an uncle who or when N/k
Am very interested in the details of corbett family from Ballybay in Co Monaghan if you find any info that links to my grandparents please let me know.
thanks
Paul

Offline lola0908

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 October 09 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann

I have just started researching my family tree and I am a Corbett from Scotland and my family originated from Ballybay Co.Monaghan.  I think it is the same family as Paul's post below.  My great great grandfather Thomas Corbett c1864 married Anne (Annie) Jane Ross c1864 in Ballybay County Monaghan in 1892.  The stayed in Corrabofin, Ballybay and had several children,  William Corbett, Thomas Corbett, Samuel Corbett, Lizzie Martha Corbett and Ellen Jane Corbett.  I know two of the children (Thomas and William) moved to Scotland where they brought up their familys.

I have found them on the Irish 1911 census, where you can view the original docs:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Monaghan/Ballybay_Rural/Corrabofin/800209/

I have also found Corbett's from Co.Monaghan on:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

A marriage cert can be ordered from the GRO (www.groireland.ie) with the details on pilot search, which would show residences, fathers names occupations etc

I think it is possibly the same family?  I am going to order Thomas and  Ann Janes wedding certificate so that should show me further info on who their parents were etc.  I will let you know when i receive them and if i can get any further information  :)

I am really interested in finding out more about my Irish ancestors.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Laura :-)

Bauchop (Airth), Blacklock (Dumfries), Borrowman (Airth, Dunfermline), Cameron (Oban), Caution (Perth), Corbett (Co. Monaghan, Hawick, Denny), Creelman (Glasgow, Kilmarnock), Demperstone (Alloa), Gibb (Falkirk, Edinburgh, Grangemouth), Glendinning (Dumfries) , Ingram (Banff), Johnston (Perth) Lorimer (Banff, Denny), Love (Alloa), Moffat (Oban), Raffan (Banff), Ross (Co Monaghan), Readhead (Banff), Strathie (Linlithgow, Larbert), Sutherland (Dumfries), Symon (Edinburgh), Turnbull (Larbert

Offline SEJ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 April 17 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
My Grandmother was Elizabeth Martha Corbett (Lily).  Lily was raised in Corbyfin, Ballybay and she married William Henry Mason. The couple lived in Lily's family home and raised 3 children, Gretta, Jack and Thomas.  Gretta is my mother. 

Regards
Sharon

Offline elliotgc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 April 17 14:59 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother was Margaret Jane Corbett (1863-1944). She married Robert Chapman and was from Aghabog, Monaghan. Her parents were Samuel Hamilton Corbett (1830-1900) and Jane Byers. Samuel's father was also called Samuel Hamilton Corbett and they were both schoolmasters, possibly at Brownhill National School or Rockcorry School. Samuel lived in Drumaclan, Kilmore, Monaghan. I am not sure whether he connects to the Corbetts you mention, although I do note that there are several Samuel Corbetts in your family.

Regards,
Elliot