Author Topic: GLASCOTT FAMILY  (Read 10184 times)

Offline ann belanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
GLASCOTT FAMILY
« on: Wednesday 07 September 05 18:18 BST (UK) »
I have a ton of information on this family from Wexford which I am delighted to share. BUT  I am particularly interested in a mystery which has been passed down through the family for generations. Here is what I know:

Francis B Glascott of Pilltown (born 1723) married Sarah Stephens Mar 18 1754. They had these children:

Thomas
John
Margaret
Elizabeth
Francis
George  and
William

I am principally interested in John from whom I descend.

John married Susannah Tree (born Boston Jan 20 1765 to Francis Tree and Bridget Murphy - the couple and their children later moved to Newfoundland where Mrs Tree operated a hotel in the Ferrylands area). I don't know if Susannah and John married in Newfoundland or Ireland.

John was known as John Glascott of Creacon . He and Susannah had children:

Sarah (born about 1792 and remained in Ireland and married Thomas Hasler or Haslett Sept 14 1814). I have not been able to track this branch down

Francis (died unmarried having been a midshipman in the Royal Navy in the Napoleonic Wars)

and the 4 children who were sent to Canada after their parents died:

Lucinda  born 1795 (married John Publow in Canada)
Anne  born 1800 (married John Vanexan in Canada)
John born 1802  (lived in Brockville Ontario in 1871)and
William born 1805 moved to Wisconsin in the 1840's

Family history says that since the parents died when the boys were too young to inherit the estate, their uncle was put in charge to hold it in trust for the boys. Instead, he shipped the children to Canada in 1819 aboard the ship Thomas. Their parents died - James in 1817 and Susannah in 1818.

I assume that there would have been a will somewhere leaving the brother (Reverend William Glascott) in charge and I am assuming that there should be land transfer records showing him acquiring the properties but I can't find anything so far.

The properties were considerable from what was said in the diary of William (born 1805) and I would like to know where they were and if the family "legend" is true

I would appreciate any help I can get on this one.

ANN

Offline annief

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: GLASCOTT FAMILY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 October 05 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,
Would I be right in thinking that you already know of Ed Toy and his extensive research on the Glascotts of Wexford? If not I can put you in touch. Ed and I are related through the Fitzhenry family.

Offline janham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 06 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've just picked up this thread after doing a search on Fitzhenry from Wexford or Waterford.  My Great Grandmother was Ellen Fitzhenry born in Wexford in 1845.  Her father was Martin Fitzhenry married to Sarah McNamara. Have you come across any of these names in your research.

Kind Regards
Jan
Otho Hamilton, John Hamilton, George Hamilton, William Hamilton, from Waterford.
Cullinane and Fitz-henry from Waterford
Oxland from Waterford
The Olivestob Hamiltons from Edinburgh.

Cook from Stroud, Painswick, Glos.
Hudson from Huddersfield, Liverpool
Spiers from Evesham and Liverpool
Jinks from Evesham and Liverpool

Offline Spanrz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 April 14 12:52 BST (UK) »
I know this is many years ago, but I have what I think is a connection.
This is aimed at the Hasler connection.

I am a descendant of a William B Hasler, son of Captain John Hasler, grandson of Sir John Hasler. Chamberlain to the Lord Lieutenant during the Townshend / Duke of Rutland days.

William had a connection with a Scott family. His wife was Hannah Scott. I am unaware if this Scott name was a shortened version of Glascott??
It was noted that William Hasler was of Co Wexford - "Whitehill". As he was some sort of civil servant, some form of Government worker.
What I found out, was that a Hasler man married a Scott woman, A Scott man married a Hasler woman. Bit of a tit for tat marriages within 2 families.

There is also a major connection to this family heading to Galway City and living there for many years until William's death in 1859. He was born in 1802.
I cannot place the family (William and Hannah) physically in Wexford, but there is documentation showing that they were placed there. I think some form of land was there and they must of been bound in documentation, to that land.

William had a few brothers and sisters. One was named Henry and he went to Canada. He lived in Flinton Ontario, as a few generations of Hasler's still live there.

William's Sister - Lucinda - married a John Samuels. A Brother - Dr Frederick Hasler married a Margaret Cody.
Hope that helps.
Researching :
Maternal - Hasler (Parliament + Photographers) - mid 1700's+, Galway City & Dublin
Paternal - Fitzgerald - mid 1700's+, Cork City
Maternal - MacNevin (Solicitor's) - mid 1700's+, Dublin
Maternal - Newenham (Parliament, Military) - mid 1700's+, Cork & Dublin
Maternal - Persse (Moyode+Roxborough) - mid 1700's+, Galway
Others: Maternal - Blood, Blakeney (Athenry)

Offline Michelle Breeding

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 09:00 BST (UK) »
I am also a descend of Johns. From his son William. My mother did all the research years ago, but unfortunately she passed away a few years back. I'm visiting Ireland in a couple weeks, so I wanted to do some research and visit the places my ancestors lived. Any castles, cemeteries, etc. I remember my mother telling me this story. I know very little, so I'm no help, but if you found more about it that you can share, I would love to hear it.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 17:07 BST (UK) »
I am also a descend of Johns. From his son William. My mother did all the research years ago, but unfortunately she passed away a few years back. I'm visiting Ireland in a couple weeks, so I wanted to do some research and visit the places my ancestors lived. Any castles, cemeteries, etc. I remember my mother telling me this story. I know very little, so I'm no help, but if you found more about it that you can share, I would love to hear it.

Looks like you can go see the Pilltown House your ancestors were from in the 1700s, see
http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=WX&regno=15703904
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 17:55 BST (UK) »
Note sure if the OP is still interested, but to answer some of her queries, which are in any case relevant to some other posters.
- As the Glascotts/Glasscotts were landed, a search of the records of the Registry of Deeds is pretty much essential. It was previously possible to examine these in person in Dublin, not sure if that is still so. The LDS have microfilm copies that can be ordered/examined at their Family History centers. However, they are difficult time consuming and expensive.  A professional researcher may be the way to go (one familiar with the Registry of Deeds!).

-However, as the name implies, the Registry of Deeds exists to register documents such as deeds, leases, mortgages, etc. An inheritance which did not involve such a document would not normally be recorded.

- The family appear extensively in the
* Prerogative Wills Index
* Ferns Will Index
* Ferns Marriage Licence Bonds index
For example, the will of a John Glasscott of Alderton (i.e. Pilltown) was proved in 1811 in the  Prerogative Registry, while the marriage of Rev. William Glascott is in the MLB index.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area