Author Topic: Captain John Kelly - Killann  (Read 6292 times)

Offline oisin7571

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Captain John Kelly - Killann
« on: Wednesday 07 September 05 20:04 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anybody has carried out research on the family tree of Captain John Kelly of Killann (as in the famous song "Kelly the boy from Killann).
I have been told that we are related to him and I have managed to trace back to my great great grandmother (Anne Kelly) but cannot make the link back to John Kelly. I am related through the Breen line of Old Ross and have been told that my family and the Kelly family share the family grave in Killann.
If anybody could throw any light on this, I would be most grateful.
Sarah
Boylan - Co Cavan, Ireland
Breen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Duffy - Co Mayo, Ireland
Kearns - Co Mayo, Ireland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Kelly - Killann
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 May 07 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hiya Sarah,

Answers.com hasn't a lot about John Kelly of Killanne apart from his role in the United Irishmen's Rising of 1798.

Christopher

Offline Angela Johnston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 July 13 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Sarah, I realise that it is now about 6 years since you posted the message to which I am replying - I only stumbled upon this site yesterday - so I have no idea if you will ever see this response.  I also have been told that I am related to Captain John Kelly.  I believe this is through my Great Great Grandmother Mary (Mary Ellen?) Kelly c. 1834-1913 who married James Marlow c. 1834-1884.  I have been unable to trace anything beyond that.  If you see this perhaps you will let me know if you ever managed to bridge the gap and make the connection.  Angela Johnston

Offline CPTDisgruntled

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 September 19 21:36 BST (UK) »
I just returned from a trip to Ireland, and had family in Killanne (a manyX great grandfather was the rector of the Protestant Church of Ireland church, St. Anne's, in Killanne), and I visited the cemetery there. The CofI church was apparently built adjacent to or over an earlier RC church at the site of the Holy Well of St. Anne, and the head of poor Mr. Kelly was allegedly smuggled back to the community by his sister.
There is a sign posted at the cemetery offering the assistance of local resident Gloria Binions with the e-mail address globin1798 at geemail dot com. Another resource I was just alerted to by a docent at a historical house was https://www.duchas.ie/en, an online collection of documents that includes digitized items from the National Folklore Foundation. There's a 1937 recounting of Kelly's story that includes the names of several relatives, with other material. I'm sure it ought to be taken with a grain of salt (and additional research), but it's anecdotal info from an extant resident.
Coopers and Ballantynes in Ireland

Offline Angela Johnston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 September 19 21:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks CP, I understand that John Kelly's father was the caretaker at the Church of Ireland (possibly supporting your Xgf).  I'll follow up on your suggestions when I get a moment.  Good Luck with your own research.  Angela

Offline CPTDisgruntled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 September 19 19:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Angela--good luck with yours as well! For the benefit of any other Kelly seekers, I am adding a photo of info Ms. Binions has posted at the cemetery.
Coopers and Ballantynes in Ireland

Offline Angela Johnston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 September 19 20:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you, it's kind of you to share.  Angela

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 10:18 BST (UK) »
any relation ?

George Hornic had two sons killed at Enniscorthy and Wexford 13th May,his son in law George Cooper was also murdered his house burned and property destroyed, parish of Killane
https://archive.org/stream/memoirsofdiffere00musg#page/107/mode/1up/search/george+cooper

John Kelly does not seem to get a mention in the book though Thomas Clooney does
https://archive.org/stream/memoirsofdiffere00musg#page/119/mode/1up/search/thomas+clooney

Offline Angela Johnston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 October 19 13:08 BST (UK) »
Ho dathai, That's interesting and odd, that John Kelly shouldn't get a mention.  Thanks for the info.