Author Topic: GRANT/ CHARTERS  (Read 5607 times)

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: GRANT/ CHARTERS
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 January 15 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi I just have John Grant baptism record but Jessie parents are buried close by as our John's! Jessie Dad was 94 when he died! I only have a photograph of my great granddad William, son of George and nephew of your Thomas.
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 January 15 20:42 GMT (UK) »
From the abbey
In memory of WILLIAM GRANT portioner in Eildon and shoe maker in Melrose who
died 18.12. 1839 aged 75 years also AGNES BLAKIE his spouse who died 2.2. 1821
aged 58 years ROBERT GRANT their son died _____?

In memory of JOHN GRANT coal agent who died at Dingleton 15.12. 1883 in the
73rd year of his age also of JESSIE CHARTERS wife of JOHN GRANT who died
27.12. 1880 aged 61 years also of JOHN their son who died in Australia 29.3. 1868
aged 26 years also CATHERINE their daughter who died 12.4.1871 aged 19 years
also MAGGIE their daughter who died 20.2. 1874 aged 15 years.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline pamelawilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 January 15 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne, that's nice to know that they are close, can't wait to get down to the Abbey and see it for myself.  It's fab to have photos and be able to put faces to the names, would love to see one of my John one day.  Jessie's Dad lived to some age! Thanks so much for the info it's really appreciated  :)

Offline pamelawilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 January 15 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan, thank you so much for posting the information from the abbey.  It's fantastic to be able to read it and gives me more info to add to my tree.  Thanks again I really appreciate you taking the time  :).  Pamela

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 January 15 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan, Agnes was actually only 38! The stone was tricky to read and I had to send the amendment to the history society so they could correct their wee book! Her death was recorded also if I recall in the church records!
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline pamelawilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 January 15 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Anne  :) Do you know if the marriage of William Grant and Agnes Blaikie was 30 Aug 1806 in Melrose? I'm a bit confused as i've come over this against another tree with the same people but Arbroath marriage and Melrose birth! Hope that makes sense. Sorry for all the questions but my i'm getting all muddled up with this family lol

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 January 15 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi yes that's the one...keep asking. .its nice to be in touch with a fellow descendant😃

Offline pamelawilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 January 15 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Anne, yes it is lovely to find and talk to a fellow descendant :).  I've come over these children for Agnes and William can I just double check they are correct and if i've missed any before I add them to my tree? Also there are two Roberts, haven't checked deaths yet but i'm presuming maybe one died as a baby/child and they named the next child after him! Or they have the name wrong which is another option.

Jean Grant 02/08/1807, Helen Grant 26/02/1809, John Grant 03/02/1811, Robert Grant 18/10/1812, Margaret Grant 17/11/1813, William Grant 21/10/1815, Robert Grant 28/03/1819

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 January 15 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi that's correct, the first Robert died when he was a baby! From naming patterns used in Scotland at that time, we could conclude that Williams Dad was called John but I've not located a baptism. I think I found Agnes baptism once though!