Author Topic: Calibration needed  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Calibration needed
« on: Tuesday 07 March 23 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I have been notified that the battery needs calibration. I have looked at how to do this but became a little confused.

It is plugged in all the time and the laptop is only a few weeks old. Can someone help me with this, please? Thank you.

Battery status

Calibration needed
State
100%, not charging
Temperature
62 °F (17 °C)

The battery is functioning correctly, but it needs to be calibrated. You will experience shorter battery life between charges if the battery is not calibrated.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Calibration needed
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 17:11 GMT (UK) »
If the laptop is only a few weeks old then call the support line. Under 28 days you can get a replacement from the place of purchase. Not just the battery!
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Modern batteries like a laptop battery have built in management systems which are intended to achieve the best performance and extend the life of the battery. However these systems can become confused about the battery's actual capacity for charge if it is frequently topped up and never allowed to almost completely discharge every so often.  The battery develops a sort of false memory about its actual capacity to hold a charge. Calibration aims to restore the management system's measurement of the charging capacity by the user allowing the battery to get down to almost no charge and then recharging it back up to full capacity every so often. I think the recommendation is to do this every 3 months or so, depending on how often you use the laptop. It is important that you don't completely discharge the battery, however, as that could mean it will never recharge again.
Rather like making yourself a nice gin and tonic, and as the drink goes down topping it up with just tonic. The drink gets progressively weaker and unable to deliver the desired result!

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, both.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 07:26 GMT (UK) »
So like yourself Joy I have a brand new Windows11 laptop waiting for me to complete the setting up.
Currently sitting on 80% charge indicated, be aware this is how I received new.
As with other laptops I will run the battery down till I get the 'low bat message' (approx 20% charge) then charge to approx 80% then discontinue charging.
Once off charge there will be an indication of time remaining. (depends on manufacturer spec)
The cycle of charge/usage will see you getting more life out of your battery.
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Mine is all set up, other than things Microsoft wants me to do but have no interest for me.
I had looked at https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_6798672-6170254-16#GUID-8C9514C3-B1ED-46F7-B169-E6F0718C8241 and got thoroughly confused.

As it is kept plugged in all the time, I wouldn't be able to discontinue charging.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Interesting information.
Would this apply to tablets and phones.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 13:35 GMT (UK) »
As I said earlier Joy: The cycle of charge/usage will see you getting more life out of your battery.
What you don't need is the battery getting unduly warm, still need to run your laptop on battery to discharge then reconnect when indicated.
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline garden genie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Joy, I ruined two sets of batteries for my former laptop because I didn't know that you are not supposed to keep it plugged in to the mains permanently. It would only hold charge for a couple of minutes in the end.
Surely you could unplug it over night occasionally?
(Leave the plug on the seat of the chair so that you know you are going to plug it back in after you have used the battery for a while)